I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blotchy finish
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 09, 2015 10:00AM

Having trouble when using light colored threads . I always seem to get a blotchy finish . Pack and burnish threads well.Put one coat of color preserve on which I think is my mistake. Will another covering of CP do the trick? Besides painting the rod and guide under the thread. Any suggestions? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blotchy finish
Date: September 09, 2015 10:10AM

Didn't see Randy's question disregard if you feel it's the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 11:13AM by Bill Cohen.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2015 11:01AM

Try on a scrap blank 2 or even 3 coats of CP I use flex-coat thinned a tad Put a wet coat on and as it soaks in you can see the color change put another wet coat I don't let it dry Reason I fell when dry the thread is sealed and another coat will not soak in
I also use NCP thread on light colors and CP

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 09, 2015 11:16AM

thanks for the advice Bill I'll give it a try

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2015 11:17AM

Light colored threads on dark colored blanks are difficult to absolutely prevent blotching of. Sort of like trying to put white paint over a wall already painted black.

It is important in these situations to really get the threads packed closely together. Blotchiness is often caused by minute spaces between the threads, allowing the darker blank to show through.

Date: September 09, 2015 03:42PM

Tom do you think the size of the thread has any bearing on the micro size gaps ?

Date: September 09, 2015 06:54PM

Not on gaps, but on bleed through for sure. D will generally cover the underlying color better than A simply because it's thicker.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (107.77.89.---)
Date: September 10, 2015 08:32AM

Will using a NCP thread help? I know that gaps will show no matter what, but if you want to stay true to the color, would it make a difference to use a NCP thread? My experience with it is non existent because I usually use regular nylon and CP because I like the brightness of regular nylon.

Date: September 10, 2015 11:37AM

NCP is opaque so yes, it helps a great deal. Gaps will show through, but not as blotchy patches. They'll just look like what they are - gaps.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: September 10, 2015 12:06PM

Thanks, Tom. I've had bleed through a couple times on a neon green thread on a matte black blank and recently on a "old gold" non metallic on a black blank. I thought the CP would lock the color in, but was mistaken and had some bleed through. Does it have to do with the solids that are in the CP maybe not uniformly covering the threads? Like the darker spots being where the thread wicks the water in and then the solids of the CP encapsulate the "water wet" portions of the thread?

Date: September 10, 2015 12:10PM

You certainly want to stir the CP a bit before you use it. If you do that, then it's not likely that any particular area would be starved of the solids in the CP. A second coat won't hurt, but that should be all you need. But CP can't perform miracles. For example, light yellow thread over a black blank is asking a bit much.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: September 10, 2015 12:19PM

Thanks, I definitely stir the CP... might just have to paint the blank under the wraps or do full under wraps if it comes up again (or just talk the customer into a darker color).

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.sub-70-196-192.myvzw.com)
Date: September 10, 2015 03:30PM

I like to use a spade drill bit chucked into a cordless drill for stirring my CP(Flexcoat) for a minute or two. The tip has been ground off and polished so I can make sure to get all of the solids mixed in from the bottom. Just make sure to rinse and dry the bit after using. I hate risking rust contamination.
I personally use as many coats of CP as necessary to get the sparkly sheen I am after. Sometimes it takes 3 or more. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 10, 2015 09:20PM

I got away with using a white underwrap on a gloss black blank because a customer insisted on it, but I had to pack the thread unbelievably tight to get it done. It was "4 or 5 revolutions and pack the thread", then burnish well. Not a scenario I would choose on a routine basis.

Date: September 10, 2015 10:18PM

If you're going to use white thread on a black blank, you might as well use NCP white as it will give you the truest white.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster