I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Claims
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.bop.gov)
Date: September 09, 2015 09:18AM

Recently shipped a new fly rod in the same tube I received my Rod Geeks blanks in. Theirs arrived to my house just fine. The fly rod I sent arrived cleanly broken across both pieces. When trying to file a claim with USPS, they want proof of current value. I included my invoice from my parts supplier but this does not accurately reflect the cost of the finished product. Has anybody else had to file a claim under these conditions? And, if so, how do you establish a current value of the finished rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Claims
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2015 11:15AM

Did you send the customer a receipt or invoice? That will generally do it.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2015 11:37AM

Hi,

Go to your local post office and ask them exactly what they need in hopes of eliminating delays.

Make sure you include any cost incurred in building and shipping the rod. Make up an invoice on you computer.

If you can find pics and advertising for fly rods comparable to yours add that in your package so the USPO has a price comparison.

Every carrier I have used delivered broken rods, lost rods and rods delivered to the wrong address. I no longer ship rods.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2015 11:48AM

Mark,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 01:30PM by roger wilson.

Date: September 09, 2015 11:55AM

Mark,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 01:31PM by roger wilson.

Date: September 09, 2015 11:58AM

The amount provided or paid for insurance is not the amount the shipper is liable for. He is only liable for the proven cost of the damaged item, and only up to the insurance limit, but not necessarily for the full amount of the insurance.

Date: September 09, 2015 12:01PM

=================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 01:31PM by roger wilson.

Date: September 09, 2015 12:13PM

UPS insurance claim policy:

[www.ups.com]

Fedex claim policy:

[images.fedex.com]

USPS claim procedure:

[www.usps.com]

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.bop.gov)
Date: September 09, 2015 12:54PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. My biggest lies in the fact that rod was a gift for a family member, thusly, no invoice. I think I'll include an invoice in future shipments, even if it is a gift. This should tackle the problem.

Date: September 09, 2015 01:33PM

Mark,
I never include an invoice with my shipments. However, I do include a packing document.

Very seldom do shippers actually include a price invoice with shipments. Most of the time the invoice is processed separately and the package only contains the packing slip listing the contents of the package.

Be safe

Date: September 09, 2015 02:18PM

"It is essential that the shipper supplies UPS with documentation that supports the actual repair or replacement cost of the merchandise, up to the declared value, as requested in the Damage/Loss Notification claim letter."

This is the part that many fail to read. You are not automatically compensated for the entire amount of insurance purchased or the declared value - only the actual cost of the item backed up by documentation, up to the declared value. If you declared the item was worth $500 and purchased that amount of insurance, but can only prove it was worth $300, you get $300.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2015 09:58AM

I have not had an issue with a broken rod when shipping; but I do have an on going claim with the USPS. Six months ago, I placed an order with Mudhole for some components I needed to finish a rod for a client. Mudhole sent the tracking notice, as they normally do, and the notice indicated the shipment was "out for delivery". I never received the shipment and questioned my mail carrier. He checked through his truck while I watched and sure enough the package was not located.

He suggested I go to the post office and check with them; which I did on the following 4 days...no package located. I placed another order for the replacement components with Mudhole which I received in 3 days, (paid for in advance). I also placed a claim with the USPS for $50, which is the maximum allowed in the absence of insurance. About a month later I received a letter for the USPS denying my claim and indicating the package was at the post office available for pick up. I went to the post office and they again told me the package was not there and to file a claim, which had already been done. I showed them the denial letter I had received and they said to submit an appeal. I did that +/- 6 month ago and have never heard another word!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 10, 2015 09:42PM

I had to file a claim with FedEx for a rod I shipped to a customer this spring that arrived broken. Same scenario, Mark. Used a PVC tube I received a blank in which arrived just fine, but I think the baggage monkeys at the FedEx depot used the tube I sent to the customer for a javelin. Filed a claim. Took several photos of the damaged rod and the PVC tube per their instructions and filled out the required forms. Had some give and take with a FedEx claims agent via email. They wanted to know what the actual value of the rod was, so I sent them the price of the same rod factory made. They sent someone to the customer's residence who picked up the rod for "inspection". Got a check about a week later for the amount of the rod and they shipped the broken rod back to me. I got to salvage the guides at least, so I was that much ahead. Wasn't a painless process, but overall I was satisfied with the outcome. FYI: I will never ship a rod out in a PVC tube again. I use the thick walled cardboard tubes that a local sporting goods store receives their rods in. They will give me a few when they reach the saturation point before they recycle them. I've never had one of those compromised.

Date: September 11, 2015 01:27PM

David,
It makes 0 difference on the container that the rod is being shipped in, if the package gets lodged in a conveyor. The conveyor will snap any commonly used package on the market.

I have seen cardboard tubes folded up, pvc boxes folded up, metal tubes folded up etc. The conveyor wins every time.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster