I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building my first Flipping Stick (guides)
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2015 09:15PM

Hey guys so I am building a flipping stick for bass fishing. It will be 7'6 H fast. It is 1/4-1 1/2 oz. Most of the time I will be using 3/8oz jigs and shakey heads flipping wood. I will be using 15 to 17lb fluorocarbon. I know I will use a Fuji RV guide as the stripper guide. My question is, can I then run single foot micro guides to the tip, or should I use another double footed guide after the stripper? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building my first Flipping Stick (guides)
Posted by: Jason Gofron (107.77.89.---)
Date: September 09, 2015 07:14AM

I like to add another 2 double foot guides but I also spiral wrap all my guides.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 09, 2015 09:27AM

Flippin Sticks load instantly on a hook set and because the work is so close to the boat the rod bend is "substantial" to say the least. It's a unique situation that can put a lot of torque on micro guides. To solve the problem use the big-footed KB guide all the way to the top. They are incredibly strong but very light. We know a number of builders who do this.

A second double foot is not needed with the KB's. RV6 to KB5.5's all the way should be plenty.

Date: September 09, 2015 10:23AM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Flippin Sticks load instantly on a hook set and
> because the work is so close to the boat the rod
> bend is "substantial" to say the least. It's a
> unique situation that can put a lot of torque on
> micro guides. To solve the problem use the
> big-footed KB guide all the way to the top. They
> are incredibly strong but very light. We know a
> number of builders who do this.
>
> A second double foot is not needed with the KB's.
> RV6 to KB5.5's all the way should be plenty.

Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, why do you say 5.5s all the way would it be dangerous to use the smaller kbs? Since they still have the larger foot I wasn't sure. I would love to do the RV6 to a KB5 and then KB4's. Would that be ok? Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2015 10:36AM by Cameron Johnson.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 10, 2015 09:34AM

That would be fine Cameron, in fact maybe better. I let a little personal preference sneak in there. I'm oriented to braid/fluoro knots getting through guides and seldom go below a 5.

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: September 10, 2015 12:16PM

Jim, what are the model numbers for those guides, I would like to use them on a frog Rod.

Date: September 10, 2015 08:18PM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would be fine Cameron, in fact maybe better.
> I let a little personal preference sneak in there.
> I'm oriented to braid/fluoro knots getting through
> guides and seldom go below a 5.

Awesome thanks!

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: September 12, 2015 12:26PM

This is just my opinion, but especially on a flipping stick the first guide needs to be high. Like at least a size 10 dbl foot guide. Personnaly I like the ZDH kigan guide in the 5.5. I then run the ZDH 5 and then pac bay minima 4 Tich size 5 all the way to the tip.

The tip top is definetly a place where the size 6 ring is essential. I like the MODEL CP4CT. T'his will pass any knots you can think of and is great for reliablility.

Again just my opinion.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.sub-70-215-12.myvzw.com)
Date: September 12, 2015 05:50PM

My favorite is double foot 10,8,6, to 5s to the tip.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2015 09:21PM

Personally I don't have to the need to worry about passing knots through the guides on a flipping or pitching rod. If I use a leader for those techniques, which is rare, I don't use one longer than 4'. With a leader of that length, the connecting knot never passes through the tip top, even when landing a fish.

IMO the rod performance you gain by using lighter micro running guides, more than makes up of any inconvenience associated with tying a new leader on more often.

Posted by: chris adams (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2015 12:11PM

For my flippin stick in the range you are building I use one size 6 double foot and then size 5's out to the tip. Reason is I can still cast big swim baits on that power and action rod. When going to a pure punching rod I have even just run straight size 4 micros all the way out but also sometimes use one sz6 DF one sz5 SF and then sz4 all the way out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster