I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where should a rod balance?
Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 07:38PM

"The reel stem"

"Where you put your index finger to hold the line."

Any other opinions about where an 11' spinning surf rod should balance? Either of the two options I just mentioned will require an 8-12 oz. counterweight added to the butt (not ideal to add that much to the rod on a whole), and the reel is not moveable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where should a rod balance?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 07:56PM

On an 11 foot surf rod, I would suggest that if you can get it to balance within a foot of the reel toward the tip, you will be in good shape.

It makes 0 sense to add weight to a surf rod, since for many folks the surf rods just sits in a rod holder in between casts.

I would certainly add no weight to the rod.

A balanced rod makes more sense for a rod like a bass rod that is used to make hundred of casts a day and that when not casting is still in the hands of the person doing the fishing.

Be safe

Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 08:08PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On an 11 foot surf rod, I would suggest that if
> you can get it to balance within a foot of the
> reel toward the tip, you will be in good shape.
>
> It makes 0 sense to add weight to a surf rod,
> since for many folks the surf rods just sits in a
> rod holder in between casts.
>
> I would certainly add no weight to the rod.
>
> A balanced rod makes more sense for a rod like a
> bass rod that is used to make hundred of casts a
> day and that when not casting is still in the
> hands of the person doing the fishing.
>
> Be safe

Thanks, Roger. That's the sentiment I'm leaning towards. Unless I'm looking at adding 20+ yards to my casting distance, I'll leave it alone and just keep practicing.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2015 08:27PM

Where a rod should "balance," if it should balance at all, has much to do with the technique and type fishing it's being used for. In some cases, such as yours with a long surf rod, balancing a rod anywhere near your reel hand requires so much weight as to make any such balancing more of an unnecessary evil than anything else.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 10:05PM

Roger and Tom make good points. Most important is to build the rod so it's comfortable to cast, reel, and fight fish. Last thing you want to do is add unnecessary weight. Good luck MH

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 10, 2015 08:04PM

I have always wondered why a rod should balance. Baseball bats, golf clubs, tennis racquets and a host of other sporting equipment do not balance. I even prefer a muzzle-heavy shotgun. Why should a fishing rod balance, and at what moment in the act of fishing should that balance occur?

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2015 02:12PM

The "Balance" issue is largely marketing by rod makers to bass fishermen that are obsessed with sensitivity. Many have been conviced a butt heavy rod "feels lighter in hand".

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2015 02:35PM

Phil,
For walleye fishing with a light jig, one often fishes with a slack or semi slack line. One often feels for the ultra light tap that signifies a very light biting fish. If one can effectively just let the rod lay in the palm of the hand balanced, with the jib on the bottom and the line semi tight, it is very easy to sense these very light bites if the rod is balanced. The hand is not clenched holding a tip heavy rod and one has just as much feeling in the hand at the end of the day as one has at the beginning of the day.

In long past years, I have added weight to the butt of the rod to achieve this, but now; no longer ever add any weight. I achieve rod balance with light guide selection, light weight blanks and appropriate length back grip and reel size to achieve the balance that I desire.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2015 12:40AM

With spinning rods I've found I can move my hand forward, more fingers in front of the reel stem, and use the reel's weight as a balancing counterweight. No extra weight needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster