I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It`s Pink
Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.dsl.telkomsa.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 01:33PM

Hey Guy`s
Here`s a story that may be inspiring for our future as rod builders
A few years ago I met a little girl of 7 that had just had a major accident involving a fall down a cliff and a major hip breakage, she was bedridden and receiving little or no medical attention. The result after a few years is a little girl that now is mobile in a way that is hard to describe but involves crawling, lurching, rolling and spinning around a stick( I built this from a broken piece of a graphite blank).So along with her dad we decided to give her an aim, so I built her a fishing rod and yes it`s PINK with blue trim and purple binds and gave it to her on her birthday. She was told that to be able to use the rod she had 6 months to `train` to be able to walk the beach. Although she has one leg shorter than the other by about 3 inches now she is so strong at core and upper body now that she can do anything the other kids can do.
So she came to my workshop one friday evening along with her family and the beers flowed.I noticed that she was busy with my lathe and a rod she had selected from the rack.No worries ,let it happen,who cares if a little ncp gets wasted? The result? unbelievable with the exception of being unable to trim tag ends,for her first time ever,awesome.
So now she insists that she will only ever work for me and in play I said Ok be at work 7am saturday. She pitched at 6.45am and then demanded that if she works I have to pay her 5 bucks a day. I then spent one of the most pleasurable days of my life teaching and watching her focus at the jobs she was given.(she applied cp to a 14ft rod and only went outside the lines twice). Along with feeding her 3 square(she normally only eats once a day `poor family`) I was making tea at volumes Only I myself could drink. I applied the epoxy to this rod and told the client the story on collection and the man got tears in his eyes at what he took as an honor on being the first to get a rod she had worked on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It`s Pink
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 01:46PM

Great story Rob, something you'll both remember always. You've done yourself proud. Lynn

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.relaybm.bell.ca)
Date: September 08, 2015 03:13PM

What is wrong with your health care system that it would allow a young girl to grow up without proper reconstruction and rehabilitation?
You are the richest country in the world, giving away millions in foreign aid. How can you allow a tragedy like this?
Then when you get a President who pushes through universal health care, all you can do is complain...
I don't understand Americans!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 03:31PM

The System is Broken
We need some one like Trump To Kick Butt

Rob
That was a tear jerker

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.186.---)
Date: September 08, 2015 04:07PM

Great story. So very inspiring.

Why not take the political comments to another thread instead of tainting what should stand as an example of the human spirit?

Date: September 08, 2015 05:02PM

Garry does have a good point

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 05:39PM

I believe Mr. Warren is from South Africa.

Date: September 08, 2015 05:41PM

So What

Do you want to take this -- off line Emails

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2015 05:45PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 06:07PM

Yes, love the assumption it is America.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 06:23PM

Yes Garry is making an erroneous assumption, and then attacking from this major error. I think it makes him look like a fool! You know the old sayings about assumption!!!

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: September 08, 2015 08:44PM

Lynn Behler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great story Rob, something you'll both remember
> always. You've done yourself proud. Lynn

I'm with Lynn, that's great. Thanks for sharing, Bob

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.relaybm.bell.ca)
Date: September 09, 2015 09:09AM

Sorry, it appears that I jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.186.---)
Date: September 09, 2015 03:05PM

Rob, I think there is an opportunity here to have her help you design a rod. Pick a blank that you think she would use for her style of fishing. Have her help pick out all the components and the thread colors. Let her do the work, telling her that it is for someone very special and that you really want her to contribute to the design and build. When it is complete, give it to her since she is the very special person that it was custom built for.

Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.dsl.telkomsa.net)
Date: September 13, 2015 07:07AM

Thx Shawn a great idea will do(any wagers it will still end up pink)
Rob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster