I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weightless Rod Blank
Posted by: Jon Kirkpatrick (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 09:59AM

What is recommended for a weightless worm (such as a Senko) rod? The client wants at least a 7 foot 6 inch rod to get more distance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weightless Rod Blank
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2015 10:48AM

Jon,
Either of these two models will work well for the application you have listed.

P904-MHX
[www.mudhole.com]

SJ902-MHX
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 12:45PM

A little more info is required. What size line, hook, how much structure/weed, average size of fish, for fun or tournament action. I throw weightless worms all the time but my stuff is typically much lighter.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2015 05:05PM

If the client is going to be throwing Senkos, or other similarly thick bodied stick worms of 4" and up, I'd go with a medium power, fast or extra fast action blank. Something with a nice light tip and good back bone. If he's going to be making long casts you need to be careful and not go too light. Senkos and the like, are pretty thick baits and even though there are various ways of Texas rigging a Senko (if you so choose) you'll need some power to get a good hook set at the end of a long cast.

If I were going to be building such a rod, (and I will be in the future) I'd build it on an Immortal IMMC72M. There is a 7'6" blank in the Immortal line that has the same power and line ratings. And while the blank I listed is slightly shorter than the 7'6" number you mentioned, the IMMC72M has a slightly smaller tip diameter, 5.5 verses 6. In my mind the smaller tip should be a little bit lighter.

I haven't built on the above mentioned blank as of yet, but I have built one rod on an Immortal blank and it is an awesome blank.

If the client is going to be throwing lighter baits than what you mentioned, then I'd opt for a spinning rod with similar lure weight ratings.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 05:37PM

Does any one know how much they weigh ?? A rod throws weight so weigh them and get the correct rod to throw that weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (184.151.37.---)
Date: August 14, 2015 10:05AM

I believe that the real Senko was designed to weigh 3/8 ounce.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 14, 2015 12:22PM

How much do they weigh? Post #7 has the weight's without hook [www.bassresource.com] Looks like most including Gary Yamamoto the master of sinko's use a {Yamamoto 21-SPT-3 titanium Medium rod that specs out to Med action
Lure 1/8 - 3/8, Line 6 - 12 This should give you a little more to work with along with your client. Jaa

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2015 05:56PM

Jon;
if you can still find one the below blank is absolutely the finest Sinko blank I've ever used. Unfortunately for the rod building community the
RX 8+ blanks are no longer being produced. But you might can still find one from one of the suppliers on the left.

RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black-- Senko Special.

Posted by: Jon Kirkpatrick (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2015 10:01AM

After a few emails and a dozen or so text messages with the client I think we finally figured out what he is doing and what he really wants.
Y'all have given me some more ideas on building some more rods for myself (wife doesn't know).
I appreciate all of the responses and expert suggestions. As always, rod builders are awesome.

Tight lines,
Jon.....

Date: August 15, 2015 07:26PM

Correct me if I am wrong But 1.85 oz is almost 2 oz
OK Bring it down to say 1.5 oz Maybe a mod- fast blank and I would think you would be good
A fast ( depending on company) May be to stiff
To bad no company is on the same page as any other ??
Todd may be on the money

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: August 16, 2015 06:28PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Correct me if I am wrong But 1.85 oz is almost 2
> oz
> OK Bring it down to say 1.5 oz Maybe a mod- fast
> blank and I would think you would be good
> A fast ( depending on company) May be to stiff
> To bad no company is on the same page as any other
> ??
> Todd may be on the money

I thought Moderate-Fast or a Fast related to action of the blank not the power. Power is usually rated as Ultra Light, Light, Medium, ect or in a numeric like 1, 2, 3, 4 power and such. [www.gloomis.eu]

Date: August 16, 2015 07:36PM

A blank has to throw a Weight The lure or the line as fly line
The trouble is no one company is on the same page as another
Fuji
They say they use the CCS to measure there blanks Really In there own blanks one can compare - With other companies one can not because they don't use The CCS the same way Every company ( bar several ) ???? measure blanks there own way IMHO - would think to make there blanks seem better !!!????
What is -- Mod - fast --- med - fast compared to Fast or even Tip Flex @#$%& i don't know I have to have the blank in hand and then play to see if it is what I am looking for ---- A Real Pain And Money

Why should builders have to buy and build several blanks in order to find the one that works

You only have to come here and ask -- you will get many suggestions on different blanks that builders like

Am i right ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: August 17, 2015 07:25AM

Bill you were asking about weight being thrown, but then telling him to look at the action of the blank not power. I'm confused as to what you are trying to tell us?

If you want to throw a 3/8oz lure you would be looking for the power of the blank, then as Todd suggested you would want to take a look at the 2 or 4 power blanks. Also Batson makes a great blank as suggested by David in a Medium power. There are also several great rods in the St Croix line that would fit in the 7'6" line depending on price point: the SCIV in the 4S76MLXF is a medium light power with an extra fast action, the other less expensive choice would be the 3S76MLXF which is also a Medium Light power with an extra fast action. Any of the above should be a good fit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster