I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod - Threaded butt extension Question?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 07:08AM

Building my first 10 wt, with a 4" spey type grip below the reel seat. The grip uses a threaded rod extension - cork glues on to long shaft part, and threaded end screws in to threaded insert that is glued in to bottom of reel seat.

My question is this - the thread adapter that glues in the bottom of the reel seat is about an inch long give or take (don't have it here to measure). It's diameter is too big to go inside the bottom of the rod blank, which I would like, so is it OK to glue the seat so the blank is up a little higher in it, and then install the threaded adapter in the bottom of the seat? Or will it not hold up?

Thanks!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod - Threaded butt extension Question?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 12:51PM

Most of the adapters that go into the reel seat area are not even 1" long. In my opinion adhering the adapter to only the reel seat will be very weak for applying much leverage!

I have used two different methods to correct this issue. #1 turn the insert portion smaller to fit inside the blank. Of course this requires a lathe. #2 add and extension to the adapter to fit inside the blank. This can be done two ways, if the adapter is bored and threaded clear thru, insert a bolt in from the blank side, leaving room for the butt screw. The bolt can be shimmed with reel seat shims or a drilled out wood dowel. If the adapter is not bored clear thru, drill it out yourself and use a piece of metal rod, and proceed as previous. Ideally you need to go at least a couple of inches into the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 01:18PM

Do you need that 4" handle to come off the rod ??
If the rod is long enough you can put the butt handle directly onto the blank
OR
Find a scrap piece of blank that fits the butt of the blank and build the handle on it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 03:39PM

I have done that many times with both SH rods and Spey.
I use the REC system that fits into the reel seat 1/2"

I use West System epoxy and you cannot remove the insert even with a torch and water-pump pliers.
So that is not the issue. On the Spey rod - when you cast off the line-hand shoulder it is putting reverse pressure on the threads and it unwinds.
Structurally it is more than adequate - depending on epoxy used.
Herb

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 07:00PM

As Herb says. The extension is designed to epoxy inside the reel seat and butt the blank up against it.If the threads in the adapter are open to the inside you will need to put a piece of tape over it to keep epoxy out of the threads. You do want to rough surface up a little to give it some tooth for the epoxy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 07:18PM

According to my post
Do whatever you want Since ya don't want to answer my question

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 13, 2015 10:46PM

I do need the extension beyond the blank. Sounds like I can build it and butt the extension up to the end of the blank. I'll make sure to get a good bond. I usually use Flex Coat glue, but I am thinking Rod Bond may be a better choice here.

Thanks to all!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 13, 2015 11:48PM

mark,
A little hint:
Insert the plug into the seat after the seat installed and cured on the arbor. Don't try to install the plug first - you will cause an air lock and not be able to slide the seat onto the arbor.
Hint #2 - after inserting the plug into the seat lock it in place with some tape until cured. Otherwise the plug will migrate out because of air back-pressure.
Herb

Date: August 14, 2015 08:35AM

Thanks Herb!

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 14, 2015 11:10AM

Herb,
Great tip!
Also, let me add that the same might apply to a butt cap unless there is a way for the trapped air to escape.
One solution on a "Soft" cap is to use a push pin to make a tiny hole in the end of the cap to releave the pressure

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: August 16, 2015 06:49PM

Mark, I've also done as Herb has suggested and had no problems with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster