I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripping Guide
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: August 12, 2015 10:23AM

I've got a question in regards to the guide foot. On some stripping guides the top foot towards the ring has two edges that stick out. Almost like one end of an arrowhead. Does the guide wrap stop at this point or do you go beyond it? If you go beyond it how do you keep from getting gaps in the thread? I hope this makes sense!! Thanks for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripping Guide
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 11:46AM

Scott,
The guides that have an arrowhead are really great guides. Basically, the arrowhead creates a guide foot that makes the guide nearly bullet proof with respect to being pulled off of the rod blank. The shape of the arrow head, creates a lock for the thread that really helps to keep the thread from slipping off of the guide.

But, some of these guides tend to have a high spot that makes it difficult to get a nice smooth wrap on the foot. To solve this issue, just prep the guide as many feet are prepped. Basically make a nice smooth surface running from the guide vertical to the end of the guide foot. It is nice to have the end of the guide very thin, so that the thread just runs up the guide foot from the rod blank with no jumps or changes in elevation.

I personally use a belt sander to prep the guide foot in just a couple of seconds. I sand the foot with the paper running perpendicular to the guide foot. These tiny sanding scratches leave a surface that has tiny grooves in the surface which further helps to keep the thread from slipping off of the guide foot.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 11:48AM by roger wilson.

Date: August 12, 2015 12:50PM

Roger,

Seems like you would need to grind the shoulder width down too. Seems like when you reach the very end of the arrowhead the thread wants to gap for two reasons. It's going from the larger width to the smaller width, plus you can never get that last wrap at the end before it falls off. Sorry, I just don't know how else to describe it. Still interested in that DC motor for my renzetti as well. Just can't get the motor and bracket to you yet. Heading to Idaho in 4 weeks and trying to finish a build. Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 01:16PM

You might want to modify that area to "soften" the size of the "arrowhead".
We usually just gently sand or file some of the material so the change in the width is not quite so dramatic.
The idea is to keep the advantage of the resistance to being pulled off the blank, but making the thread wrap a little easier and neater.
Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: August 12, 2015 01:40PM

Thanks Ron! I definitely see the advantage of having it. Just curious how to make the transition as neat as possible. I was assuming some grinding is what it would take. Thanks for your time.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 12, 2015 03:17PM

Unless your stripping guide is a single foot guide, there is no rationale for having the arrowhead shaped guide. If your stripping guide is a single foot guide, there is some rationale as Roger explained. When I prep my single foot guides, I try to eliminate the arrowhead shape as much as possible. I always use the Forhan locking wrap to eliminate any possibility of a guide coming undone. As yet I have not had such an occurrence.

You can try both ways and see which you prefer.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2015 03:25PM

Scott,
When I prep the guides with the belt sander, I just make a constant taper on the guide foot from the vertical guide foot to the end of the guide foot. I don't have a sharp drop off at the end of the foot, the taper begins at the vertical foot and tapers to a very thin edge at the end of the guide foot. Along the way, due to this shaping the width of the arrow will automatically get narrowed a bit to maintain the constant taper. No issue with the last wrap on the guide foot, since there is essentially 0 thickness at the end of the guide foot.

Also, I alway wrap my guides by starting the wrap on the rod blank and then wrapping up the end of the guide foot to the vertical part of the guide. As you wrap from the blank end, the wrap that you are making is backed up by the previous wrap on the blank, so that backing helps to keep the first wrap on the guide foot from slipping back onto the blank.

On the other hand, I do wrap from the vertical part of the foot for a few different reasons. When I do this, it is always much more difficult for me to get the guide foot to blank transition without really slowing down my wrapping.

Be safe

Date: August 13, 2015 11:44AM

Thanks for all the feedback, gang!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster