I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning a 1-piece into a 2-piece
Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: August 09, 2015 10:44AM

Hi,
I was wondering... Can a 1-piece blank be cut and made into a 2-piece without sacrificing any strength?
If so... What would be the best way to do so? I was thinking about cutting and glueing a full graphite ferrule in the lowerr part... What do you think?
Thanks,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 10:44AM by jeroen teugels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning a 1-piece into a 2-piece
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2015 10:59AM

An oversleeve ferrule would be best. We've covered this in RodMaker a couple times. A bit too involved to go into in a forum post. However, you won't want to use graphite for the sleeve - use glass. You need to maintain the flex characteristics across the joined area and graphite in a larger diameter than the blank at that point will result in a much stiffer section which can create enough stress at the ends to cause failure.

You could certainly create an internal plug type ferrule if you want, and for that you would use a graphite section as it will be a smaller diameter than the blank at that point. But again, you want to try to match the flex of the rod across that area. This might require a hollow plug or it could requite a solid one.

Strength isn't really the issue - flex is.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2015 11:00AM

Jeroen,
2-one piece blanks can be turned into one - 2-piece blanks without any issue.

By using two identical blanks, the appropriate diameters can be found to form a nice overlapping joint and have a very good rod. But, unless you use a separate ferrule you will not be able to make a good joint in the way that modern two piece rods are made today.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 09, 2015 04:02PM

Jeroen

In my opinion you do not need two blanks to make one. If you use a high quality metal ferrule (brass/chrome) the male end has a slightly different ID than the female end to allow for the taper,

If its important and want to hide the fact a metal ferrule is used, then start the wrap at the base of the female end and run the thread to the end of the ferrule. One will have to look very close to see the type of ferrule that is used.
If you are worried about the integrity of the alteration don't, 2 piece rods have been in service with great success for longer than I can remember.

To minimize the trauma to your mind and the blank, I suggest you size the ferrule to fit the blank below the butt guide, then all the guides will be on the one piece section and will be oblivious to the effect of the ferrule.

I use 2 piece rods with metal ferrules and when I hook a fish I get so excited I don't know what color rod I am using let alone what kind of ferrule system is on the rod.

To answer your question, what I recommended is the best way FOR ME and from past experience I have not had any problems. The other methods mentioned in the other posts work and may be better, you just have to select the method you feel most comfortable doing.

good luck

john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 04:06PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2015 06:01PM

Once you do several and read the article on how they are not that hard
But why do it
hang on to that blank and some day some one will need it for a built rod
And get a two piece

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: August 10, 2015 04:17PM

Thank you very much for the replies... I never thought about it that way but I guess Tom has a good point about flex/action being more of an issue than strength...

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 16, 2015 11:00AM

Read the "Rod Repair" article in the library, last one on the list, and it gets into the flex issue in detail. What you would be doing by adding an external ferrule will be quite similar to one of the repair processes. If you are a builder, and I were you, I wouldn't bother with this transformation. I'd just find a two piece blank as close in characteristics as your one piece, and build a new rod. One cannot have too many rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster