I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

POINT BLANK...
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 05:14PM

The complete selection has been added to the Mudhole site. A blank worthy of your best work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: POINT BLANK...
Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: August 07, 2015 12:26PM

I was in Orange Beach in June and dropped by the Rod Room to say hello to Kathy and the girls. They had just gotten some of these blanks. I bought three of them and while it has only been two months I am blown away. Definitely a horse of a different color...the weight, balance and action are spectacular.

Time will tell on durability but definitely the most 'next generation' blank from a performance standpoint I have handled. They are off the charts.

I hope more models - especially heavier saltwater models - are on their way. I would certainly buy them.

Posted by: Arthur Long (---.srvs.usps.gov)
Date: August 07, 2015 01:45PM

Bill, according to what I've read on their website (Point Blank's) that they offer a reduced taper about 12"-14" from the butt, making sizing for components less of a hassle. Is this true?

Date: August 07, 2015 02:22PM

Thanks Bill! I keep trying to tell folks these are not like anything they have ever picked up but they don't believe me. Until they pick one up.

The butt section of POINT Blanks are big to maintain strength with a thin wall construction (14.5mm would be a good average across 20 models), and yes, the first foot or so varies less than a half mm on most models. If I recall, I found one model that was slightly over a half mm. When reaming grips, I have gotten in the habit of flipping it around to try to keep the ID as consistent as possible. Seems to work well if you pay attention.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: August 07, 2015 03:04PM

Arthur - I have the PB701MLF, PB701MHF, and PB731MXF. What you are saying is true on all three of these blanks - very little taper in the handle section. Not sure about the others.

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2015 10:52PM

I and some of my customers have been fishing these blanks from day one. Jim sent them to me to try out before they went into production. My finished rods came in at 2.8oz (carbon fiber grips with split seats and torzite spinning guides built for braid line) . We feel the same way Bill does. WOW is what everyone says, as far as durability we have fished them hard for big pike and small mouth and large mouth bass with out any problems. I think if you try one you will feel the same way do and will really be happy with them. Just another great option in blanks. Feel free to contact me with any questions about these blanks.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2015 04:33AM

I have a question that hopefully Jim can provide an answer to? Where can I find the specs for these blanks, other than in the Mud Hole catalog? The reason I ask is, I can't help but think there are several typos in the listings on Mud Hole's web site. (not assigning blame here)

One seemingly glaring one being the specs listed for the PB761XXHF. A 6 - 12# mono line rating, for a blank rated for 1 - 5 oz.?

Also a question about a blank I may be interested in, the PB701MHF. Is the 8 - 20# mono rating for that blank correct? It seems that an 8# test rating is awfully low for a rod rated for 1/2 - 1 oz. ?

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2015 09:02AM

Ditto, Barry Weaver's statment. I also have had the privledge to build and use the Point Blanks since the prototypes were introduced. However I build mostly in-shore, Spekled Trout, Drum [redfish], Flounder and Striper, [rockfish]' rods. And all of them have performed flawlessly.
The lightest rod I build used all Fuji components. Torzite, spin #16 - 4.0, Thirteen guides plus the tip. Split cork grips and SK2 split seat. Total weight 2.6 ozs Paired up with a Shimano 2500 Ci4, the total weight of the two is just over 10 ounces, line included.
My customers and friends that use them enjoy the fact that they can fish with these rods all day long and not get tired, and really enjoy the way the rods perform.

Date: August 10, 2015 09:33AM

David, the PB761XXHF is rated for 20-40lb Mono, 30-60# braid.
The PB701MHF is rated 8-20, an indication that the tip is fast enough for lighter lures in our tests. Stick with the 20#. The tip sections are so responsive we had this happen again and again. Note the low end of ALL the 7 ft blanks is 8lb. Go figure.

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2015 04:05PM

David,
I have updated the specs on the PB761XXHF, thanks for pointing that out.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2015 05:07PM

Why is the handle area level
I don't know any reamer companies that make level reamers They are all tapered
So if I get one of the point blanks I have to ream the handle from the butt - and then from the front - Butt still have a smaller area in the middle of the handle which I have to ream out to fit --- trying to re-invent the wheel -- IMHO - more work

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 12, 2015 09:57AM

Bill Are you ever happy with anything. I dont think Fuji is too worried if you dont like it.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 12, 2015 09:57AM

Bill Are you ever happy with anything. I dont think Fuji is too worried if you dont like it.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 12, 2015 02:59PM

Bill,
Try using one of the long shank spade bits in reverse as has been pointed out in the magazine to get an even bore

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2015 08:08AM

Hey I have a novel idea;
If you buy the seat to fit the blank, since both are straight. You won't have to ream anything except a little cork. That should tickle you fancy.

Date: August 17, 2015 10:35AM

People tend to think the taper of a standard reamer is somehow magically going to perfectly match the taper of every blank they pick up. Really?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster