I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brother lable printer?
Posted by: Pat Reddy (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 04:26PM

I found quite a bit on the forum regading printing lables for applying to rods - but most of it was very old.

I have 2 questions that I'm hoping can be answered by just pointing me in the right direction - via a link, forum reference, etc.

1) Has anyone tried using one of the newer handheld lable printers that can print on clear tape? My Brother P-Touch printer claims, "P-touch TZe tapes are the only tapes available that have a unique lamination, which makes the labels heat, cold, water, chemical and fade resistant." Sounds pretty convincing. I just with they had a metalic on clear but I'll have to settle for white on clear stuck on a black section of my blank. anyone try this?

2) Anyone know where I can get a logo printed - either black, white, or metallic on clear? Mudhole offers this but the minimum order is 50 units and they charge a one time processing fee, too.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brother lable printer?
Date: August 06, 2015 04:45PM

BTW...I did check out DecalConnection.com per this post: [rodbuilding.org]
They might be my best best for prining my logo - or getting metallic lettering.

Posted by: Mike Doran (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 06:01PM

I bought a decal printer from Custom Labeling Systems (Vender on the left). Larry Tobin at the LRT Group is great to work with.
Seems to always be available to answer questions and give direction. Material comes in array of colors and sizes.
This is a great system if you do a lot of labels. they are great to work with also

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2015 06:17PM

At this point, if you can justify buying a label/decal maker, I think the machine from LRT (custom labeling system in the sponsor column) is the very best route to take.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 08:12PM

I agree with others LRT (Custom Labeling System) label maker is good value for the dollar spent. It takes a little 'learning the ropes' but you can also import graphics

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 08:59PM

Here's some gold on clear [www.amazon.com] If your putting the lable under epoxy why worry about the {unique lamination, which makes the labels heat, cold, water, chemical and fade resistant} We put thread and feathers under it without worry? I'm looking at the Epson 4 line unit but with the clear tape you can only do white or silver, no gold that I can find. I just don't build enought to need a high end lable maker. I use paint and a nib pen now, Simple and works, But I need to take a Valium an hour before I start!!! LOL, But the wife and I can think of alot of things to lable now that were getting old. tight lines Jaa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 09:05PM by Jay Dubay.

Date: August 06, 2015 11:02PM

Thanks Jay. I doubt I'll build enough to justify a $200 label maker, either. I might, but not having built a single rod yet, it wouldn’t' be a prudent buy. I wish my Brother labeler did silver - I decided on silver accents throughout my rod(s) so it would be ideal. Have you tried white letters? On clear...or black lables?

I really need to Google this “nib” pen everyone is talking about!

Pat Reddy
Riverbound Brew Co.
St. Louis, MO

Date: August 06, 2015 11:07PM

BTW...the blank I'm building on are MHX Freshwater..."slate grey". Anyone know if black on clear labels will show up?

Pat

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2015 02:14AM

Black on a clear label on a gray blank is not a very good idea.

White, on the other hand would work very well.

Be safe

p.s.
I letter most of my rods, using white ink.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2015 02:14AM

Black on a clear label on a gray blank is not a very good idea.

White, on the other hand would work very well.

Be safe

p.s.
I letter most of my rods, using white ink.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2015 06:41AM

Mike Doran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought a decal printer from Custom Labeling
> Systems (Vender on the left). Larry Tobin at the
> LRT Group is great to work with.
> Seems to always be available to answer questions
> and give direction. Material comes in array of
> colors and sizes.
> This is a great system if you do a lot of labels.
> they are great to work with also

I also agree with mike ......really good printer and Larry is always their to answer the questions

Posted by: jim barb (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 07, 2015 06:55AM

Pat is use that printer. I don't build a lot of rods but I usually only build white rods and the black on clear works great.

Date: August 07, 2015 08:57AM

Thanks everyone. So far, I think I have 3 options so far as lettering...

* Use my brother handheld with white on clear tape
** Use a nib tip and some kinid of good ink or paint (I read that silver Testors works well)
*** Spend $200 on a label printer (which would cost me about $50/label. Assuming I ony make 4 rods in the next year or so)

As for my logo (my nano brewery logo modified for rods)...
I have 2 affordable options online that I'm researching.
This I would like i a silver on clear transferable kind of thing.

Pat Reddy
Riverbound Brew Co.
St. Louis, MO

Date: August 07, 2015 11:31AM

My .02 If you are only making 4-10 rods / year and you have a logo that you want to put on them then likely Decal Connection would be the most cost effective answer. They're very easy to deal with and can produce a small number (or large number) quickly.

Date: August 07, 2015 11:31AM

My .02 If you are only making 4-10 rods / year and you have a logo that you want to put on them then likely Decal Connection would be the most cost effective answer. They're very easy to deal with and can produce a small number (or large number) quickly.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2015 09:11PM

Hi Pat,

Larry here from LRT Group. If you tell me what you want, I will make you a label at no charge with the PEARLabel 360. I have sold over 170 units to the Custom Rod Builder in the last 1 1/2.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.193.96.---)
Date: August 08, 2015 10:02PM

Pat, I have used the Brother P-Touch and it works ok, but I've had issues with the clear decals, they seem to have a haze or cloudiness when you apply them to the blank. I've found the white or gold on black work better, but there is another drawback, if you don't seal the ends of the label the epoxy used to seal it will cause a de-lamination of the Brother label and it will curl up on the ends. There are a couple of things you can do to counteract the effect, but when all is said and done you may be better served by contacting Decal Connection or LRT about a printer. It will give you a better product than using the Brother P-Touch.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2015 02:13PM

The Brothers P-Touch prints then puts a laminate on top. This can give you a haze look and because it has 2 layers of tape, it also need more coats of seal to cover it.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster