I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K guide standard vs Fuji K guide (high)
Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 12:15PM

Hi Fellow rod building addicts. I am a big fan for the Fuji K guides and build most of the rods with the K guide system. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages between the normal K guides vs. the High K guides. I build Salmon steelhead rods for both Drift fishing and float fishing. I was just wondering if the High K guides would improve the performance in any of my fishing methods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K guide standard vs Fuji K guide (high)
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 12:38PM

K guides are all high now except for the #30 and #40 where you have a choice between high and low.
Herb

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 03:25PM

HERB... OKAY not understanding I see choices between #25 klag (H) and #25 Klag (J) if all K guides are high the same except 30 and 40 then there is no difference between 25 (H) and 25 (J)? someone please clarify... thanks JIM??

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 04:09PM

I don't know this for a fact but here is how I think it works.

I think guides used to be listed by size with a letter. L = Low; M = Medium; H = High.

Next Fuji came out with a new guide called the KL guide to be used like or replace the LV guides.
Ok, so everyone called them the K guides.

Then Fuji came out with the KL-H guides because they thought it was funny to confuse us even more.
Now suppliers had a problem because there were two types of "K" guides. KL-H is High guides so the "H" was not problem. But the KL could confuse people to think the "L" in KL means Low. (see second sentence). So the letters in the alphabet, in order, being used by Fuji are "H", "K", "L". Since "I" can look like a "1" sometimes so the suppliers pick the letter "J" to say regular "K" guides NOT L(low), M(medium) or H(high).

Again everything I said above is a lie. But it worked to help me understand using my imagination.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 04:22PM

Or since that was a lie LOL
print this out and check the height for whatever reel you will use
[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 04:30PM

They also no longer use "J" in description.

And - sorry - you must be referring to their Micro guides of which I have no use.
Yeah - they are all over the place.
Sorry for the wrong info. I have to remember that there are other blanks to build on than fly blanks
Herb

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 05:02PM

First of all forget the "J" designation, Fuji dropped it a few years ago.

Following is a explanation related to SPINNING:

"Regular" K-guides are used in any New Guide Concept (NGC) application just as you would an MN or a Y frame in years past.

The KW (ex: BKWAG) is an NGC double foot guide. The KL (ex: BKLAG) is an NGC single foot guide. The KB (ex; BKBAG) and KT (ex: BKTAG) are both running guides for BOTH NGC and KR CONCEPT.

"High-Frame, Small-Ring" K-guides are used in Fuji's newest layout theory, the KR Concept. KR Concept is actually an improvement over NGC because it controls line flow faster through smaller, lighter rings. It is the result of Fuji research into the whole micro-guide/braided line craze that started getting a lot of attention maybe six or seven years ago. Since then it has become apparent that you don't have to build a micro rod to benefit from what the KR Concept has to offer.

Since smaller higher guides can control line faster, reduction trains can be slightly compressed. Combined, the features of the KR Concept not only reduce the weight of the reduction train, the compressed length of the train also moves weight away from the top 2/3 of the blank and increases sensitivity, speed and recovery (things related to weight in the top portion of the blank). All of these things combine to offer a noticeable increase in the GOOD stuff a well designed KR rod can deliver - smoother, longer casts because line travels in a straighter path through rings, as well as amazing speed and instant recovery (both of which add accuracy and reduce reaction time).

So, the new RV-H is the high frame, small ring K-Series Double Foot for KR CONCEPT ONLY (ex: TRVAG-H). The KL-H is the single foot K-Series guide for KR CONCEPT ONLY (ex: TKLAG-H). The KB (ex; BKBAG) and KT (ex: BKTAG) are both running guides for BOTH THE NGC AND KR CONCEPT.

K-SERIES is now the most complete selection of guides Fuji has ever assembled.

Herb: KR Concept guides never go above size 25 so the 30 and 40 are ALWAYS NGC guides, they just happen to be offered in a high and low frame in those sizes.

There is a complete rundown on all of the K-Series in our new Catalog which RodMaker subscribers will be recieving with the October issue. If you haven't tried a KR build, you should. With the new KR GPS at our web site and the selection Fuji offers it's really very easy. We'll tell you exactly what to buy and if you're like most people who build their first one, your mouth will drop open on the first cast.

Hope this helps, there's a ton more info on our web site including the new GPS module specifically for KR Concept.

Posted by: Chris Murphy (---.p.ascc.um.maine.edu)
Date: April 02, 2024 12:47PM

Hi Jim,

I am building my first spinning rod an have a few questions regarding line size. The rod is a NFC SW765 (7'6'' heavy with moderate-fast action, 1-3 oz lure) which will be used for striper fishing including tossing large swim baits and live bait. I often use 30-40 lb braid.

I want to use the KR concept and double foot guides for this rod and here are my questions:
Will this concept work well when using 30-40 lb braid? I see a lot of info specifying 20 lb braid, nothing about heavier braid.
Also, do you think double foot guides are necessary? At least for the stripper/reduction guides? All of my salt rods have double foot guides.

Thank you!

Chris

Posted by: Chris Murphy (---.p.ascc.um.maine.edu)
Date: April 02, 2024 12:47PM

Hi Jim,

I am building my first spinning rod an have a few questions regarding line size. The rod is a NFC SW765 (7'6'' heavy with moderate-fast action, 1-3 oz lure) which will be used for striper fishing including tossing large swim baits and live bait. I often use 30-40 lb braid.

I want to use the KR concept and double foot guides for this rod and here are my questions:
Will this concept work well when using 30-40 lb braid? I see a lot of info specifying 20 lb braid, nothing about heavier braid.
Also, do you think double foot guides are necessary? At least for the stripper/reduction guides? All of my salt rods have double foot guides.

Thank you!

Chris

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 02, 2024 02:23PM

Chris,
I would go to the boss Bill Falconer, bfalconer@anglersreource.net

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 02, 2024 03:40PM

I just built a similar rod with Fuji KLH 20H, 10H, 5.5M, then size 5 (or 5.5, cannot remember) runners, KB's and KT's. I am using a size 35 Cabelas reel which is a Daiwa, and it's bigger than a Shimano Stradic 4000. The rod casts very well with 35 pound braid.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: April 02, 2024 07:11PM

Chris, sadly Jim passed a bit over a year ago.

Posted by: MichaelTarr (---)
Date: April 03, 2024 10:23PM

Chris, you can use double foot guides for the KR concept guide train. The RV-H is the double foot alternative.

Check out the link for some guide train options…

[www.guidesnblanks.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster