I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom handle question.
Posted by: Glenn Knepprath (---.freedomnetwork.bertramwireless.com)
Date: August 05, 2015 11:43PM

I just made a custom checker board handle and fore grip with jigs I purchased from Mud Hole for my Ultra light rod build it turned out so good I want to protect it the best way I can so it stays looking good for years to come, so my question is what is the best way to do it? epoxy over the cork? rub it down with some kind of oil or just seal it with U-40 Cork sealer? I am thinking of epoxy,ideas will be appreciated!~Thanks' People~this is my first post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom handle question.
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 12:13AM

cork is some what soft [ a little ] an epoxy gets real hard over time [ real hard ] it don't work well over time .use cork seal or one of the gun stock finishes many coat' s depends on the color you want , some people use a other coatings but look out for the epoxy
other people will time in on this one I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 05:48AM

A single coat of U-40 is all you need.

A light scrub with mild detergent, rinse, dry and a re-coat when it starts looking dirty will keep it looking good for a long time.

W.V.A. Custom Rods
UK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2015 08:51AM

Glenn,
If this grip is cork, and if the rod is used a lot, the grip will look used, because the basic material is reasonably soft.

To clean cork, I just use a tooth brush and simple green cleaner. It works well and the grip will look nice for a very long time.

It also depends on the quality of cork that you used on the grip. If the cork is of ultra high quality with few holes or lines in the cork, it will look better longer.

If you have holes that have been filled, then the fill will have to be renewed from time to time to maintain the appearance.

I have never been one to put anything over cork, since I appreciate the appearance and feel of natural cork. Also, since cork is dense but light, it does not readily accept any sort of finish that will stay on the cork for a long time.

Be safe

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-6.myvzw.com)
Date: August 06, 2015 04:06PM

Tru oil is what I put on all of my cork work. I apply it with a paper towel at high speed on the lathe. Apply it and wipe off the excess.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 08, 2015 11:18AM

I have used epoxy successfully (pretty heavy use for up to 6 years) on ramps and butts, but not on a whole grip. They have held up fine, but do turn amber in time. I think for what you want to do either tru oil or U40 will work. Tru oil with bring out the contrasts a little better while darkening it somewhat; U40 will retain original colors better. Try both on a couple rings that have the patterns of your grip and see what you like. And, as Roger said, grips can be cleaned. (I would still seal it)

Posted by: Glenn Knepprath (---.freedomnetwork.bertramwireless.com)
Date: August 09, 2015 09:01PM

I would like to personally thank all of you that replied to my post!..after reading them I have changed my mind and will use my U-40 as I have in the past! This is a great forum to be part of,Thanks again, Glenn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster