I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spineing a Bunker Spoon Rod
Posted by: Bob Swanson (---.lib.uconn.edu)
Date: July 10, 2015 09:26AM

Hi.
This is my first post on this forum; I've been lurking in the corner for a while and figure its about time I sign up.
I'm building a couple bunker spoon rods on Seeker BA 1153M 9' blanks.
I will be using All American Spiral Roller guides, ATC aluminum seat and gimbal, slick butt grip and a EVA foam foregrip.
OK. I have the components that I feel will do the job the best.
I have spined and marked the blanks and this weekend I intend to get the gimbals, grips, reel seats and foregrips on the rods.
I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination. I built my son a fly rod last year, before that I restored a boat rod about 5 years ago...
So I'll pass this question to those who know better than I.

The generally accepted premise is that the spine always goes on the top of the rod, facilitating flex toward the direction that you are casting and towards the fish... which is pulling from down below in the water.
Fly rod, spinning rod, jigging rod, boat rod... this all makes sense. Spine on top, opposing force down below.
But a bunker spoon rod is different.

Let me point out that I will be running monel off of a couple Penn 113HSP's on the rods. So these rods are being built for running wire line with bunker spoons.

My feeling, and that of my son who's degree is in physics, is that I should spine the rods about 75 degrees from the reel seat, not 180 degrees as would be done on all other rods. This way the rod flexes toward the lure while trolling.
After all, I've selected this blank to best impart a pulsing action to the lure.
I feel that the spine should be oriented such that it also imparts action to the lure; fighting the fish being a secondary consideration.

Put more clearly, for a rod that will be fished off the port side, the spine of the rod will be about 75 degrees to the RIGHT of the reel seat to accommodate the angle of the wire off the rod.
For a rod that will be fished on the starboard side of the boat, the spine will be 75 degrees to the LEFT of the reel seat.
This way the spine will be in line with the wire AS IT IS BEING TROLLED, not after the rod comes out of the rod holder.
I am concerned about after the hookup, when the rod comes out of the holder and now you're standing up, facing the fish and cranking. Now you're off spine.
Anybody have any thoughts or experience with such a setup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2015 11:16PM by Bob Swanson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spineing a Bunker Spoon Rod
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 01:02AM

Bob, I know your gonna put gymbols on those rods so, while their in the holders just turn them to the trolling position.Build on the spine in the normal position.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 12:40PM

Bob,
I don't like to have a rod that has an upward curve. It is very common to have a spine follow the straightest line of the rod. In spite of advice to contrary, I prefer to have any curve in the rod point down rather than up.

As much as anything else, when any curve is pointing down, the curve is not visible to the user of the rod.

Also, since you want the spine - if you choose to spine a rod in the direction of force, I would certainly put the spine on the bottom of the rod to simply keep the strongest direction of the rod, in the direction that the rod will be having its maximum bend.

The fight at the boat is normally the hardest portion of the bend in the rod and I want the maximum strength there.

But, for the last many years, most folks including myself no longer check for the spine of the rod. Rather, we simply build on the straightest axis of the rod. i.e. a pronounced spine is often caused be a significant bend in the blank. I do not want to sight down the blank as I am using the rod and be able to see any curve in the blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 05:43PM

Bob, Your overthinking a simple solution. You wont be holding that rod when the fish hits. Its a search bait rod. You'll be looking at your fish finder and marking fish. Thats as technecial as it gets. Boat speed and spoon action is the main concern. Just make sure you don't have any kinks in you wire.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2015 06:45PM

The spine won't matter. If you want the most power and best reaction and recovery possible, build on the straightest axis with any curve set so the belly is low and the butt and tip high.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 13, 2015 11:35AM

Spine the rod whichever way you like: with a spine finder, with your bare hands, with some kind of fancy apparatus, or, if you're so inclined, with black magic or voodoo.

How you do find the spine, or even whether you do it right, won't matter, because spine is irrelevant, especially on this kind of rod. Just align the reel seat, guides, etc., whichever way you fancy, and go fishing.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 14, 2015 08:27AM

"All American Spiral Roller guides" is what you wrote ... spiral wrapped rod. Spine is immaterial. Direction of the spiral (left or right) is also immaterial vis-a-vis starboard or port side of the boat. On heavy rods I like to set the spiral on the opposite side of the reel handle. On lighter rods that may be left on boat decks I prefer to spiral on the same side as the handle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 08:36AM by Ken Preston.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster