I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stop thread from rotating carriage tension nut?
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 10:38PM

The studs on the commercially available thread carriages have recessed ends on each stud. This fits a rectangular i.d. washer eliminating the rotation the the spring and wingnut. Ive noticed that when building a wrapper and using all thread when using the thread the rotation can rotate the washer,spring, and nut. This either tightens or loosens the nut.

Anyone sourced out threaded rod with square sides and rectangle i.d washers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stop thread from rotating carriage tension nut?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 12:52AM

# 1 you can use plastic washers big box hardware store's carry them [ in my home town ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: David Gaestel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 10, 2015 06:46AM

In addition to plastic washers I use two wing nuts facing each other. I lock them together with the "wings" out. This will prevent them from tightening or loosening.

David A. Gaestel

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 10, 2015 07:29AM

Search all dates for a post "Thread Tension - No Wingnuts" for a simple solution.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 10:04AM

A very simple solution is to use a washer, a nylon locking nut (nut with a nylon lock on the inside), then keep a nut driver handy for the times that you need to change the adjustment of the nut.

Or, you can do the same thing that fishing reels use. Flatten one side of the stud with a grinder. Then, use a washer with a matching flat on one side so that the washer can not spin.

Be safe

Posted by: Adam Lathrop (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 10:53AM

Thanks guys. I was already using washers but was trying to use something with less tension then nylocks. I'll try flatting one side of a washer and stud

Date: July 10, 2015 12:21PM

Get a few small binder clips.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 06:37PM

I had the same problem a quite a few years ago & my solution was to use "Drill stops"that are held on by small grub screws .Even though I've upgraded to an Alps wrapper with my home made thread carriage & magnetic tensioners they are still used .The allen key is housed in a small hole drilled in the thread carriage & to date has not been replaced

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 07:17AM

I'm with Jeff, never moves and quick to change out thread when needed

Date: July 11, 2015 12:49PM

Adam,
I have experimented from time to time with thread tension devices that put pressure on the spool. However, I have never been happy with those devices.

I simply use the tried and proven spring tension devices that apply tension to the thread just before it loops to the rod.

I do NOT use a tension device for metallic thread. This sort of device does not work well with metallic thread. I only use metallic thread for trim and then, just use it by the foot applied by hand.

This spring tension device is identical the tension devices used by virtually every sewing machine in the world. i.e. millions and millions of tension devices on the same number of sewing machines. Millions of miles of thread are run through these devices every year with few if any issues.

Run the thread through the tension disks, adjust the tension on the tension disks and go to work. For about 90% of my work, the tension never changes on the tension devices because I typically use the same diameter thread.

[www.mudhole.com]

p.s.
I also enjoy sewing as another part of my life and own several sewing machines from small to very large. Virtually every single one of my machines use a device of this design to control the tension on the single or multiple threads that are used in the machines.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2015 04:00PM

If you can try some thing like this It keeps the nuts from turning
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 11, 2015 04:49PM

Bill,
A very simple but elegant solution for the issue.

This is by far the simplest and great way to take care of the "turning nut" issue.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2015 04:50PM by roger wilson.

Date: July 11, 2015 04:54PM

Roger
It may not look really nice ( I have them made from alum now ) But they work Got it from the Eco Wrapper

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 11, 2015 08:45PM

This is what we're talking about Bill.... Just having fun.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 12, 2015 02:41AM

I was calling them papper clips ?? Tried them had to really push them hard against the spool to get the tension I wanted Went back to the wing nuts LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.snlo.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 13, 2015 12:39AM

I like using the wingnut in combination with a fender washer threaded to match the allthread.
It works flawlessly and provides infinitesimal adjustment to the tension, much more so than the binder clip.

If you are using 1/4" allthread, buy a 1.5" fender washer with a 3/16" hole and then use a 1/4-20 tap to create the threads.
Set the rig up in this order:
Nylon washer (these act as the "lubricant" to keep everything that turns turning)
Thread spool
Nylon washer
Spring
Nylon washer
Fender washer
wing nut.

Tighten the fender washer down to where you want the tension then use the wing nun to lock it in place.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: July 13, 2015 10:52AM

Walt,
I read the post a couple of times to get the full meaning.

Apparently the one or two threads that you can get into a fender washer is sufficient to secure the washer on the threads of the thread stand?

If so, then you are essentially doing the classic double nut lock which always works very well.

My initial thought would be that there would not be sufficient threads in a fender washer to secure the washer over repeated use. But apparently it holds up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 10:55AM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster