I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank and handle size suggestions
Posted by: Philip Marz (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 08:54PM

Im going to be building a spinning rod as a birthday gift for someone in Indiana who would use it for spec, bluegill, crappie. Not sure what type of fishing of that type are in the area and afraid to ask to many questions since its in a corporate office which is like Payton Place. I'm guessing a 6.5 foot 1/2 oz. Lure weight? That sounds short to me. Any suggestions on blank length, lure and line weight also handle length from butt to reel would be helpful and appreciated.

Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank and handle size suggestions
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 09:01PM

I would start by using the search option on top of main page. It's loaded with information. Type in what you are building and set to search all words. Then open the search to all dates. It's a good starting point. MH

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 09:17PM

You can also do a Google Search on the state and fish and if you know the lake or river he will be fishing you can get a good idea of what people use and how they use it It is a start

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 10:18PM

Phil, I live in Indiana and build quite a few 6.5' and 7' UL and Light power rods for the panfish around here. I don't necessarily think that 6.5' is too short, unless he likes to spider rig for crappie. The top end lure rating, IMHO, shouldn't be higher than 3/8ths oz, unless he is throwing something under a bobber or mini crankbaits. I say this with full disclosure that i love my ultralight rods for panfish. If you think that might be too light I would think something like a Spin Jig rod in a "2" power either 6.5' or 7' would work on the panfish as well. I've got one that I river fish for smallmouth with small tubes that average about 1.75# with the occasional 4.5#. Handle length I would go somewhere around 8-10" butt to bottom of the seat, but even this could be shorter, he won't really need the extra length to lever the butt against his chest while playing a fish. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 10:40PM by Jared Taylor.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2015 10:53PM

Phil,

I sent you a link to read up on on Indian panfishing. The Batson 7' 0 power popping rods are fantastic all around panfish rods, and will serve your client well.

Oh, I forgot to add, for rods 6'6"-7', I like he butt to measure 9.75" from butt to reel stem. I would have to double check, but this would typically correspond to about an 8" butt grip with an uplocking seat, or about 8.5" with a downlinking seat. If a reel seat is used, I prefer an 18mm seat. If building the rod uplocking I'll trim about 1/2" of threads off to make the seat length comparable to a standard 17mm seat. If building with the seat downlocking, I'll trim off all excess threads and leave off the fore grip. Though, my preferred grip is a split TN handle with the reel wrapped on with thread, something that will be tough to do in a gift situation.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 10:59PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 06:12AM

Joe, I agree with you on handle length and I like at least a size 17 on my personal rods. Those Batson popping rods are a fantastic choice. I second your suggestion x10. Phil, Joe is dead on with a "0" power for panfish here.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.google.com)
Date: July 09, 2015 07:59AM

I fish a lot of gills and specks here in Mi and Indiana. Joe is right on with his blank suggestion. The IP840 is a fantastic blank for this application. Batson also recently came out with the revelation series. The REVS72UL is another great choice. The REVS is a little faster action than the IP. I like it better for torpedo bobber fishing with a fly or tight lining for gills and redears on the beds. The IP840 is a great rod for bobber fishing crappies (specks) because of the softer action. Crappies have a soft mouth and the action helps keep the hook from pulling out. Both come in at 7' which is pretty average for panfishing around here.
Good luck
Vic

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2015 09:33AM

Jared Taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe, I agree with you on handle length and I like
> at least a size 17 on my personal rods. Those
> Batson popping rods are a fantastic choice. I
> second your suggestion x10. Phil, Joe is dead on
> with a "0" power for panfish here.

X3....handle length is spot on. All my personal spinning rods in 6'6"-7' are 9.5" from butt to stem and ive moved up to a size 17 reel seat. Perfect imo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster