I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with recesing cork fly grip for reel seat
Posted by: Eric Guess (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 07, 2015 10:25PM

I currently do not own any tools to make this happen. Is anyone willing to do mine for a small fee. I can ship the cork handle out with cash for cutting and return shipping.

Please text or call me at 251 300 7015.

I am located on the MS Gulf Coast.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with recesing cork fly grip for reel seat
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 07, 2015 10:56PM

IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE RECESSED PART OF YOUR REEL SET INTO YOUR GRIP , ALL YOU NEED IS A DEMNEL TOOL & SOME BITS , SO GIVE SOME MORE INFO SO WE CAN HELP , IT IS REAL EASY IF THAT WHAT YOU WANT

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2015 06:27AM

Eric, the Dremel tool will work and their is another tool that will go in a power drill, Crafty's Cutter, several of the sponsors sell it. Another option, I would bet there is a local builder that could help you out. Visit the tackle shops in your area, most will probably know of a builder, wheather they are a pro or hobby builder.

Date: July 08, 2015 07:08AM

yes, looking to recess the reelseat in to the cork handle.

thanks for the responcees.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 11:55AM

You can also use a pen barrel trimming bit. you ll probably have to enlarge the hole slightly with a dremel. They run about 12 bucks without the piliot bit. I use mine with a worn old 6" sq drive bit from my kreg pocket screw kit

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 12:00PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
Pictures worth 1000 words

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 12:39PM

What bit, disc, or drum would you use in a Dremel tool?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 08, 2015 02:49PM

I'm with Matt. In the past I've also used a drum shaped Dremmel bit, but that required a steady hand to slowly enlarge the opening. Doable, but error is possible. The pen barrel trimming bit (I sharpened the cutting edges) turned at high speed will give you a clean opening of around .750. Mine was under ten dollars with a pilot bit. For slightly larger reel seat hoods, my bit has a ring of course sandpaper bonded to the outer edge. This allows me to cover my requirements.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 03:06PM by Jeff Shafer.

Date: July 08, 2015 04:41PM

awesome, where can I get the pen barrel bit? what size?

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 08, 2015 04:48PM

One option is pennstateindustries.com, but if you Google pen making supplies you'll find other options.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 08, 2015 08:16PM

the sanding drum's on the dremel tool is to big for me to inlet the reel seat , the way I do it dry fit all parts to see how it is going to fit,
[ NO GLUE ] at this time , draw the circle on the cork grip where you want it , take every thing apart , use a diamond dit
or a rotery bit an grind out the unwanted cork do not grind the drawing line of the circle out leave it there go very close but not over.
use masking tape on bit to set the depth , the rotery drums are to big for me , take your time , you can always take more out but can't
put it back on , when finished with the inlet job the fine line you put on the grip will be there , an the lip of reel seat will cover it ,
that is how I do it , lots of ways to do it but that is my way
PS the rotery grinder is small an thin an will fit in the hole in the cork with out any problem , make sure that you have suffent cork
in the handle to do this, an keep your dremel tool line up with the center line of cork you don't want to key hole it ,

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster