I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Air brush designs on rods
Posted by: John Lasky (208.136.18.---)
Date: November 09, 2001 02:01PM

hello again every one again thanks for all the help !,

I wonder with all the decoritive wraps , weaves ,inlays etc are any of you decorating blanks with an airbrush either using stencils ,matting or freehand .

The possibilities seem to be many and could really make a unique and different looking rod. multi colors overlays, spatterting, patterns, designs,pictures or entire scenes.

I ask cuz I just purchased a good guality airbrush to spray a blank a single color but the vidieo that came with the brush opened my mind up to the Idea of lots of options.

Thanks in advance Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Air brush designs on rods
Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2001 02:30PM

Check out this months issue of Saltwater Sportsman on page 22. Drew Thompson's "splatter painting" techniques. Talk about some wild looking rods.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 03:34PM

Grumpy Phil from Manhattan Custon Tackle used to do this. He had a rod which was broken on display that had flames between the foregrip & first guide. I have a hard enough time signing my name - I'd never be able to draw. Definitely worth a shot if you can draw though.

Billy

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 10, 2001 01:55AM

I am a lousy painter, but I have taken rods to a custom auto painter andh had him do rods where they start out one color and fade thru a spectrom of colors. They come out supper. emagin a tip that had about 6 inches of pink and by the time it got to the but it was a deep violet

Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 11, 2001 01:34PM

Since you mention it can auto clear coat be sprayed with an airbrush?
If so you could get some eye-popping finishes with a paint like Du Pont Chromillusion. It changes color as the light intensity and angle changes. That would really be a trip if it could be done. I asked a DuPont auto paint rep about this and he swears that the paint would hold-up as would the finish, including sun and salt,etc. These Outcast Blanks from Hawaii change color: don't know what kind of paint they use though. The Chromillusion is awfully big $ a pint mixed along with the clear coat is about $750.00 I think. T'would be interesting. Warren

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster