I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Direction
Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2015 08:34PM

Just curious as to any advantages of running the thread over the top, or under the bottom of the blank. Also, how about the location of the spool. On the front side, or behind the blank.

Curious minds want to know. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Direction
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2015 09:23PM

It's personal preference. On my wrapper, the spools are behind the rod mounted around the height of the rod, either slightly below or above depending on which bolt the spool is on. I then run the thread under the rod through and old double foot guide and up and over the top of the rod. I find that the thread taking that path makes it easy to see what is going on and leaves plenty of room for my hands in front of the rod.

If I have a thread that fuzzes up easily, I'll bypass the the guide and go straight from the spool to the blank.

My wrapper is far from perfect, but the next iteration will use the same line path.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 10:04PM

as pointed out personal what ever works out for you ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 10:18PM

I have the thread and tensioner behind the rod. The thread comes over the top of the rod and the top of the rod is turning toward me. Very simple and works very well.

Quite a few fellows around here use the same setup with excellent results as well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 17, 2015 06:09AM

If I understand the question correctly I think you worded it wrong. The thread always goes over the top. The difference is the direction of rotation of the blank, the pac bay and similar the carriage feeds from in front of the blank while a renzetti feeds from behind. But still over the top

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: steve schuster (162.236.124.---)
Date: June 17, 2015 11:15AM

Fred, I agree the thread always goes over the top, the question is how that occurs. By wrapping first over the top, then around, or under the bottom, then around.
Upon further consideration, I also agree that which side of the blank you wrap from will determine if the thread goes first over the top, or under the bottom. (unless your wrapper motor can change directions)
From what I gather, it's a personal preference, as well as what side of the blank the spool carriages are located, and whether they are mounted horizontally or vertically, and that neither method has an advantage over another.
I thank you all for the responses!

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: June 17, 2015 01:01PM

Steve

The thread will always run over the top of the blank. It depends on which side of the blank you are sitting when you start the wrap. Some setups do not let you work from either side and that could be an issue. If you can only work from one side then you may need a reversible motor or you have to turn by hand.

John

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2015 01:36PM

Got it John, thanks.
Has anyone ever heard of a wrapping motor that is able to reverse direction?
I'm not sure this can be accomplished using an ac powered motor.
I asked this question of an "expert" at Mudhole, and his answer was, "why would you want to do that?"
There are several reasons I would want to do that, the most important being undoing a misapplied wrap, using the direction change to remove a sacrificial thread from a tiger wrap, etc. etc.
There are probably more reasons, but they escape my brain at this moment.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2015 04:17PM

For applications like removing the sacrificial thread or a bad wrap, one solution is to take the belt off of one of the pulleys and allow the rod to turn freely. Another option, if you want to power the motor and run it backwards is to put a figure 8 in the belt.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 17, 2015 04:43PM

figure 8 works great but eats the belt a little faster that normal

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2015 09:16AM

Steve,
Drop me an e-mail and I can fill in details to answer your question.

hflier@comcast.net

I agree with you on reversing the wrapper direction. I will not use a wrapper that is not capable of running in the opposite direction at the flip of a switch.

Be safe

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster