I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodgeeks SG79hm blank questions
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-199-76.myvzw.com)
Date: June 16, 2015 02:42PM

So for anyone familiar with this blank in context of north east saltwater fishing any ideas on how much lead this can pull? Maybe cut 6 from the tip sounds like a nice porgy seabass maybe fluke blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodgeeks SG79hm blank questions
Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2015 07:07PM

Billy Vivona from NERBS has built that blank for fluke. I think I saw a post about it on Stripersonline. Rodgeeks also came out a boat rod series with Billy's input and one of those blanks may work better without cutting the tip.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 11:13PM

Hi Mike,

I build boat rods for bottom fishing so I am very interested in what size sinkers will work on the blanks I buy. The RODgeek SG79HM is a good 2-5 oz sinker rod. The beauty of the blank being 7'9" is that I can cut several blanks from it. I have built several where I cut the tip back to a #7 tip top and cut the butt for 61/2' and 7'. I wanted to be able to use 6 and 8 oz sinkers for fishing around Long Island. The demo rod I spiral wrapped so if need be I could use the first guide down from the tip as a tip top. The test was in approz. 60 feet of water. It handled both 6 and 8 oz sinkers from the tip. I could use a 10 oz sinker from the first guide if need be. I was catching 3 # porgys in a good current and had a blast. The flex in the blank is perfect for big porgys and worked best using mono. Braid caused too much snap with fighting porgys and allowed them to pull free.

I look forward to using this rod out in the ocean in a week or so.

I also built on the SG70MHM and made it a spinner. What a blast on those big porgys using 4 oz sinkers. Had to go to the HM as the fighting porgys were tiring me out. Ha, ha. These are excellent blanks for our area.

I have the SWB's on site but have not had time to build a demo using the 15-30# class blank. It feels like another winner to me.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-199-79.myvzw.com)
Date: June 17, 2015 08:29AM

Thanks so much for all the info! That's exactly what I needed to know doesn't look like this blank will work for me as I use braid.

Date: June 17, 2015 08:44AM

Hi Mike,

I did not have a long piece of mono in front of the braid. If I had the reaction to the porgys fighting would have been softer. For the test I grabbed a reel loaded with braid and used it as it was.

If you like a blank with a soft flex this is a good one.

I bounced a 10 and a 12 oz sinker at the 6" position down from the tip. The tip handled both and the tip was still soft. Personally at those weights I would like a tip section that would be stiffer.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: June 17, 2015 08:53AM

Actually one more question. Would cutting 9 inches from the top bring it to a 8 tube tip? Not understanding why the porgies were pulling off with braid? Was braid tied direct to rig? I use a 50 foot shock leader which I thinks prevents that.

Date: June 17, 2015 08:56AM

Sorry I didn't see your post in time thanks again I'm gonna give this blank a shot I think

Date: June 17, 2015 10:18AM

Hi Mike,

Cutting about 3 " off tip make for a #7 tip barrel. Cutting 9" would be about a #9+.

I have these blanks in house. If you are any wheres near Sayville, NY 11782 you are welcome to come by and pull on them.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: June 17, 2015 12:37PM

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster