I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji GPS reel size clarification
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: June 13, 2015 03:38AM

I was going to ask this question personally to Jim but thought it could serve to the other users as well so I'm posting it on the forum. As you know, an important variable in the GPS (btw well done for an excellent improvement to the software) is the reel size. Can someone confirm whether these are based on Daiwa 'type' or Shimano 'type' spinning reels ? As you know a Daiwa 3000 is larger than a Shimano 3000. In my case I am using the GPS to get the stripper size and changing the reel size from 3000 to 4000 raises the suggested stripper from 16H to 20H for example. Maybe this difference will have a minimal impact on the performance, but you never know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji GPS reel size clarification
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2015 07:17AM

Alistair, I wondered the same thing when I used the KR GPS to build the two spinning rods I just built. As you said, not all reels in a specific size class have the same spool lip diameter. My assumption was and is, that they simply averaged them out to come up with the dimension the software uses for its calculations.

I use all Shimano reels so I'm not familiar with the spool sizes of Daiwa, and the other popular reel manufacturers. Is there that much of a difference between a Daiwa's spool diameter and a Shimano's spool diameter in the 3000 series of reels? Perhaps the difference isn't large enough to where it would affect the size stripper guide the GPS called for?

I do know there is a pretty substantial difference between the diameters of a 3000 and 4000 series Shimano reel, so I could understand the need for a larger and taller guide, with the larger size reel.

I know the rods I just built called for the stripper to be a 20H for the 3000 size reel. But I use fluorocarbon line so figuring a larger mono would be more stiff, I used 10-14# mono as my line size entry.

Not having tried a smaller 16H as a stripper, I can't say that I know if there would be a noticeable performance difference between the two, but I do know the rods I just finished perform exceptionally well, using the guide sizes and locations that the KR GPS software called out.

For someone that is new to rod building and finds spinning gear to be a different kind of animal, the KR GPS is a god send. Some day I'll buy a set of guides to experiment with, but until then, the Fuji GPS is going to be my best buddy when it comes to my next spinning rod build.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2015 08:05AM

It would be almost impossible for AW to catalog and host every reel model from every company. Yes, a "2000 Series" from one company may, and probably does, feature a slightly different spool diameter than the "2000 Series" from another company, but they shouldn't be too much different. Remember, even with the GPS software you're free and even advised to tweak your final set up. The idea behind the system is to get you off and running with a good in-the-ballpark set up right out of the gate.

Date: June 13, 2015 10:40AM

Thanks. What I still don't get from KR Concept literature is whether the stripper should be related to spool diameter or not. In my case I will be using up to 15lb braid with Daiwa 3000 reels. Now according to the AW guide on the concept, the suggested reduction train for Micro Rods up to 15 lb Braid is 16H, 8H and 5.5M. However with the spool diameter rule of thumb, the 3000 Daiwa reel should point to a 20H. So my point is should I consider the 'braid' rule or the 'spool diameter' rule. I bother about it because I build using Fuji Titanium (as I fish exclusively saltwater) and given their price I try to get the most optimum guide from the outset rather than buy different sizes and test cast!

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2015 12:42PM

A little bit of advice, go and play with various reel/line combination ins the KR GPS software. You should notice a couple trends, as the reel gets larger (spool diameter and distance from the blank increase as well), the butt guide tends to get larger, the other is that as the line diameter and stiffness increase, the butt guide tends to get larger. Jim can correct me if I'm wrong, but the KR system is all about using the smallest reduction train you can get away with for the line/reel combination.

Alistair Mangion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I bother about it because I
> build using Fuji Titanium (as I fish exclusively
> saltwater) and given their price I try to get the
> most optimum guide from the outset rather than buy
> different sizes and test cast!

Here's how you handle that situation. Buy a set of the reduction guides in a the sizes you think you will need in the cheapest model steel frame guides. Use these for test casting, and when you are happy, order just the Ti frames you will need. It might cost your $50 or so, but it's money well spent. You may never put them on a rod, but you will always have everything you need when you test cast a rod. I know as rod builders, particularly us hobbyists, we tend to be a frugal bunch and try to get by spending as little as possible, but like a nice set of reamers this is money well spent.

I keep sets of high frame guides, Y frames and V frames on hand. By having the different frame styles, you can notice how the heights compare. I store all of them in the same box grouped by height. I can reach in and grab a guide and know what to expect.

Given that you only use Ti on your rods, you won't run into the problem that I have. I tend to use my test guides and 'forget' to replace them in a timely fashion at times.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 15, 2015 09:40AM

It's a combination of spool diameter, height off the blank and line choice. Obviously when you consider the number of combinations possible with those three variables alone you could conceivably be asking KR/GPS to do something outside the parameters. Very gratifying that so many are finding it useful, thanks.

Date: June 18, 2015 02:41PM

Agreed. Thanks for weighing in Jim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster