I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Accent Wrap Question.
Posted by: Skip Summer (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 09:54AM

Planning to use orange wraps on a "fisher" bamboo rod. Looking for a color for small accent wraps. No metallic please. Any ideas on a second color? Thanks for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accent Wrap Question.
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 10, 2015 10:09AM

Good Morning Skip,
It depends on the orange. If it is a rust orange, I would try a teal color. If it is a bright orange I would go with either a green or a blue. Depending on your color tastes, you might try a a dark cobalt blue or a dark forest green.

When choosing colors, the choice always depends on the individual. How you perceive colors varies from person to person. If you have sufficient colors, I would do test wraps on the rod blank and see how you like the colors. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: June 10, 2015 10:48AM

Right now I am in the middle of restoring a Heddon #50. Rusty orange wraps that are tipped with a light olive green. I've also seen shades of brown from light tan up to dark chocolate work. While black is an obvious choice it can sometimes look too Halloweenish depending on the orange. Bright orange with a turquoise trim does evoke a sort of 1950's feel. I've used that combo on several older white glass fly rods.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 11:21AM

I believe nice chestnut brown would work well

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 10, 2015 01:36PM

For a more simplistic approach to get some free designer assistance:
Sometimes when I get stuck for a complimentary color, I take a spool of thread to my local Sherwin Williams or big box type store where they have a paint scanner to match colors. I'll scan a spool and then get the color card with that scanned color. Then, I'll adjust the system choices to give me a variety of color suggestions to go with it and I grab samples of those. When I get home, I'll run the samples by spools and usually find a few close matches. Then, I'll wrap up a couple samples with the colors and see what I (or the customer) likes.

Here's a really long answer you may categorize as TMI, but I'll toss it out there for others who might read this thread and want to explore some possibilities:
For more advanced color selection techniques, if you have a basic to intermediate knowledge of color matching approaches and some experience with how to use a color wheel, software like paletton can help you come up with some really interesting combos you would not likely consider on your own. Some thread MFG like Madeira can provide RGB (or other color identifiers) values for their thread which you can input into paletton and then you can work the software suggestions back through the RGB charts to specific spools of thread. In some cases, you might need to use a third party color translator to get different color measurement values to cross reference; you can find these online by doing a google search. An example, if you have a hex color value for burnt orange of CC5500, you can convert it to RGB and get values of R (204) G (85) and B (0).

There are some mathematical concepts to color matching that can be quite challenging to try to learn at first (even with a bit of help and instruction), but once learned are really easy to apply. Paletton attempts to simplify concepts like working with monochromatic, adjacent, triad and tetrad color combos. Finding mathematically complimentary colors using each method is just a click of the mouse in the software.

[paletton.com]

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 02:48PM

is it a blond bamboo or flamed medium or dark? should look cool with orange. are you going traditional with silk or nylon thread? color preserved? color choices are very personal. i would go minimalist and use white, color preserved white with no CP on the orange. maybe even black. some type of red would keep it in the same spectrum as the orange.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 03:38PM

Dark blue.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 06:32PM

Take a look at this web site, it is a professional color selection page. Takes a little playing with it to become proficient, but illustrates practically any color combination imaginable

It is especially great when you are building on a colored blank..

[paletton.com]

Posted by: John Allgood (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2015 01:07AM

When in doubt on color of accent bands of any lighter color thread, black will often work when others don't really satisfy you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster