I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide sizes
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 08:56AM

I have heard that proficient fly casters are putting #20 stripping guides on 9wt. and up blanks, followed by a #16, a #12, and then #5's. Do you know of any anecdotal or scientific evidence of the benefits of this set-up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide sizes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2015 09:07AM

No.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: June 10, 2015 09:54AM

The only reason I can think of that some might be doing this is to allow tangles to get knocked out along the way instead of just jamming at the butt guide. I think Lefty Kreh suggested this many years ago. With most heavier lines between stiffer these days I don't see that it's really needed anymore if it ever was in the first place. I assume that the #5's are snakes as that would be very small in a ring guide and probably wouldn't pass Loop to Loop connections well.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 03:23PM

I set most if not all my 8wt and heavier rods with 20, 16, and snakes sizing depending on a few things, but reduce as fast as possible to "running" guides.
I like the 20 for helping with the tangle issue, but there is also the issue of the large arbor reels with a much larger diameter. Look at fly rods from 20 years ago, before large arbor reels were popular. Most 7-9's, and even an old 11 Sage I have uses a 16 for the stripper. Difficult now to find a production rod in a 9wt without a 20 for the first stripper. They may have other reasons for doing this, but I'm sure that spending more for those large 20's isn't one of them.
A 20 doesn't make a huge difference, but helps a little to reduce line angle from stripper to reel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2015 07:59PM

You can achieve the same goal, if you want, with a high frame 16 (spinning style).

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2015 07:49PM

Some mfgs are putting size 25 as first strippers. Makes no sense to me maybe they have a large overstock of them.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster