I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A pair of spiral for San Diego offshore - advice please
Posted by: Jay Coon (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 01:55AM

I've wrapped several rods in the past but never a spiral. With the two blanks below I intend to change that.

What I am looking for is advice on the guides, guide sizes for each, and the spacing. Is 20 16 12 12 10 10 10 10 good or ??

Also does it matter if I make these deckhand style or will they perform better with a real-seat?

Below is what I was going to try but open to advice.

Avet MXL - 65lb braid to 40lb mono
RCLB70M
Alps XN

Avet MXL - 65lb braid to 25 - 30lb mono
RCLB70L
Alps MXN

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A pair of spiral for San Diego offshore - advice please
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 08, 2015 08:27AM

There's no need to use all those sizes.

Choose a stripper to give you the grip clearance you need and then (most of the time you can) go straight to your runner size for all the rest of the guides.

Posted by: Jay Coon (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 11:45AM

Ok, not to be too dense but if I'm understanding correct I can go from a 16 to 20 for the striper and then all 12's or 10's

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2015 12:18PM

Yes.

Posted by: Chris Rhodes (---.crow.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 02:28PM

With those blanks and other comparable blanks, I actually tend to use 20,18,16, 12, 10, 10, 10,10. Just seems to work out and look better to me compared to the straight to running guide style. Weight usually isn't much of a concern on my builds anyway. So I think your original layout is quite feasible. Although either way works.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 08, 2015 02:40PM

Line pathing, at least to me, should be a greater concern that what looks good.

If you can achieve a good line path with guides that look good to you then by all means...

To me, in a spiral wrap the line should touch each guide and each guide should bend the line. Guides should not be placed, when the rod is loaded, so the line spirals through a ring without touching it. This means the guide is not contributing to the spiral and could be eliminated. At the same time, a guide should not be sized or placed to introduce unnecessary bend into the line, this is not efficient.

It's been my experience that larger unnecessarily tall 2nd, 3rd, or 4th guides bend the line path excessively. But every rod is different, just like builder preferences. If you can make it work and you're happy with the results that's all that really matters.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2015 11:44AM

I've .fished lr out of san diego for 20 yrs and wrap my own spiral or acid wrap rods , leaving on an 8 day tuna trip june 20 on the Intrepid hoping for bft(I hope).

I've tried every spiral tech over the years and now have my stripper guide at 0 deg, usually a size 20, last rod i wrapped was a calstar 700M for 40 # and used a 20 for the stripper, a 16 next at about 30deg, then a 12 at 150 deg, then 2 more size 12s at 180deg, and then 3 size 10s at 180. I pretty much use the same system for all my rods. longer rods might use a few more guides-every tech i tried, they all casted the same, no difference when spiral wrapped over convential-just eliminates the twist in the rod, i never use gimbals, don't need them. I just eyeball the 2nd and 3rd guides so the line doesn't touch the blank, if you're in san diego you can stop by and look at my rods.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 15, 2015 08:26PM

Got one even better for you: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Click the "Blue Prints" tab and you will see sample spiral wrapped rods complete with blueprints to help guide you throughout the process.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 08:14AM

If your knots go though the 8's good
I glue the top on of course at 180
Then place the guides at 180 spinning fashion Bring the first two up Run line and static test
I would also go 20 - 16 then 8's The 8's will keep the line closer to the blank and a straighter line path
I also try to keep the line at the bottom of the guide close to the blank or at the top of the ring But not on the sides as I feel this will tend to Push the guide -- All under pressure
Works for me

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 16, 2015 12:19PM

Thanks everyone for the input... Got the blank in the mail the other day and have since wrapped the cord and taped the guides on for testing... I ended up getting 20 - 16 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 12 but they just feel so big on the blank. I may end up ordering 3 x 10's to shrink it by the tip. I'll post a few pics soon.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2015 12:28PM

If you can and have an 8 laying around Check the 8's and see if your line and - knots - fit Less weight on the tip always a good thing

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 16, 2015 12:37PM

I have a full set of 'ATC Virtus Lite Guide - Black / Nanolite' 20 - 16 - 12 -12 -12 - 10 - 10 - 10 in my build box that I haven't used yet.

I was going to run Alps XXNZ on it and that's what I used for testing.

Are the ATC beefy enough to 40lb mono and braid?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 17, 2015 07:31PM

Hello Jay.

Yes they should be fine I use them on my 30# king stuff all the time, at 60-80# you would be better off with the heavy Virtus.
I like a GTS 70L, Spiral wrapped using the Titans, (but the Virtus Light would be just fine in the same sizes) NIRLC-12 Butt, a NIRLC-12 Bumper, a NIRLC-8 Transition, and 7 NIRLC-6 Running Guides, TTRLT-8-7.5 Top.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster