I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best blank to cast 1/32 oz
Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lns1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 08, 2015 01:43AM

I built a rod to cast 1/32 oz plastics to Trout. But when I get down to 1/16 oz, that's it.Any lower and it hardly launches. Any size between 6 ft and 7 ft 3 inches, One piece, 2 piece, doesn't matter, I just want to get that tiny lure out there!
Please Help
Paul Braithwaite

Braith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best blank to cast 1/32 oz
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 06:50AM

Batson SP840-CG or IP840 - they'll get it done.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Garry Thornton (184.151.37.---)
Date: June 08, 2015 07:42AM

I have several that will cast that weight, but they tend to be slow, live bait style actions.
When I wanted something with some "snap" to throw tiny Mepp's type spinners someone here suggested the Mudhole SJ720MHX.
It's just what I was looking for.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2015 08:41AM

The new Bushido SJ72/4-8 ..... this thing blows away anyone who uses it...

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 09:27AM

I agree with Don on the new Bushido

Ron Weber

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: June 08, 2015 10:45AM

You gotta try the Bushido SJ72/4-8 blank. It will do what you want without breaking the bank.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2015 10:56AM

Not only will it throw light lures but this was just caught on one...... [www.facebook.com]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2015 11:20AM

If you are looking for that blank I have them .( color is slate gray and Retails for $60.76)My pricing because they were a special purchase will be lower than what is suggested for both wholesale and retail customers. These blanks are fully warrantied.

Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
913-897-6657
Binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

You might want to check out my post about these blanks from last week

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2015 03:18PM by Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent..

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: June 08, 2015 12:10PM

SJ72/4-8. Bushido by American Tackle. Great blank for the light stuff.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (199.9.60.---)
Date: June 08, 2015 01:32PM

I have both blanks, and if I can find the pictures I had, I can post them in the photos when I get home of comparing the Bushido72/4-8 to the IP840. I can also weigh the two blanks when I get home. Up until recently, the IP840 was my go to for panfish rods casting light jigs and tubes, that were 1/32 or 1/16. The Bushido has a 4.0 tip I believe and the IP840 has a 4.5 tip. Don't quote me on the numbers, I just recall the tip on the bushido being a half size smaller. The tip for the first 3-4" of drop on a ccs board showed the Bushido had a slightly softer tip, which is want I wanted for casting light lures. Though, once you start adding weight to the blank, the Bushido locks up quicker and gives you more backbone quicker, and the IP bent more into the rod and seemed to have less power. Both have a faster action, but when putting them under a progressive load, they get into the power and behave more moderate, if that makes sense, not sure I explained it correctly.

Both are fun fights for panfish and smaller fish. I haven't fished for trout so I can't comment there. Though I haven't tried it, I know a few people that are testing the Bushido out as a dropshot rod. Both blanks may work fine for you, but the backbone of the Bushido makes it a more versatile to me.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (184.151.36.---)
Date: June 08, 2015 02:07PM

I also have both of these blanks. They are fine. I like them and I use them for Crappie in my area. We catch many out of season Bass when Crappie fishing and these blanks handle the bigger fish just fine.
However, I find them both somewhat soft and slow...Both have power in the butt and the ability to land big fish, but if you want a little more snap in your casts, the SJ 720 MHX is the ticket.
The extra fast tip makes it a better light spinner, tiny jig rod, in my opinion.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2015 03:31PM

I'm not sure there is a perfect rod for casting 1/32 oz jigs. They just don't have enough weight to load many rods. The IP840 is a good one for panfish, and makes a great UL crankbait rod for bass. Mine is trimmed to 6'8", for no reason other than I'm fairly short and would rather use a rod closer to 6'6" than 7'. After fishing the rod for a number of years, I wouldn't mind a little extra power. If I ever build another it'll be left at full length.

The other rod I regularly fish with little jigs is an SB720-4 6' light power fast action travel rod. I would have to go do some experimenting, but I don't think I get much extra distance out of the IP840 than the SB720-4 with the 1/32 oz jig. Those little jigs will only fly so far.

The other blanks I've built that see use with little jigs include the Mud Hole CRB IS561L and Batson SPG600 (I think, 5' glass UL). Those are used mostly by my wife and kids. They get the job done pretty well also.

My dream blank for tossing those little jigs would have the action of the 822.5 and a bit less power from tip to butt.

Joe

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2015 08:31PM

Try a 3 weight fly rod blank.

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2015 04:41AM

Thanks for the suggestions,
The Samurai 001x that I built can only throw 1 gm about 13 metres in my hands. A lot of respondents are happy with a 6 foot rod. Is that how it goes in this lure size? It is a handy size to toss in the back of the ute. What about the HM-SJ871-MHX. It sounds like the kit, but nobody has pushed it. I am keen to get this blank selection spot on so I can move on to another line class.
Thanks again for the education
Braith

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 06:26AM

Remember, much of casting distance is predictated by line size and choice. Try some Stroft 4 pound test mono and see if your 13 meters doesn't get better.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2015 11:58AM

Paul - once you choose the right blank and guide train, try spooling it with Nanofil line. It is the smoothest casting line I've used and the 4lb line has a 1lb diameter.

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2015 03:51PM

First things first. I am seeking a great blank for this job. There must be a dozen blanks that fit this bill. I am presently using 10 lb sunline castaway which is fairly fine (about.1 mm), round, smooth and silent. I am using the tidal wave guide set which I think is fine. Normally i would have used a TATSG set for this setup.
Are there any more expert opinions on blank selection out there?
Thanks
Braith

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 10, 2015 09:16PM

Paul,
A 2 weight 6'6" fly rod blank will handle down to 1/48 ounce jigs when built as a spinner and fished with 2# test.
Casts easily to 20 meters.
If you need to go further learn to cast a fly rod. An 8 weight fly rod with the correct line will cast 25 to 30 meters carrying a 1/32 ounce jig.
The additional length and stiffness will make hook-set fast and secure even at the long distance.

Gene Moore

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (---.lns11.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 11, 2015 06:33PM

Eugene Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Gene,
That sounds like an excellent option. I do use a fly rod, but some of these streams are too overgrown for any sort of back cast.
Braith

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2015 09:28PM

Paul,
A short 8 weight made with a 6'6" or 7" light spinning blank may be what you require. You can go up to 8' if it's an advantage.
The 8 weight line has good mass for carrying the light jigs you're using and has ample power for fighting wind.
Build the rod with a very light tip and you can still drop to 8X if the need presents.
Roll casting out to 25 meters is possible if you lack the back cast room. You also get the option to make a short cast and mend line for a very long drift. 1/80 and 1/100 ounce jig heads are available if the trout are really skittish or the water is thin.
I fished a lot of tunnels in PA where the only back-cast room was straight up. This forced the short roll cast and long drift approach. The extra rod length made for a lot more hook-ups than my old noodle ultra lights. The light tip gave more feel to the hook set keeping break-offs down.

Good luck

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 09:57PM by Eugene Moore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster