I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish in 15 Seconds & Go Fishing!
Posted by: Scott (---.albany.thebiz.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 10:36AM

Merrick's Quickcoat Miracle Dryer! This revolutionary portable
dryer will cut your drying time from 24 hours down to an unbelievable
15 seconds! The epoxy is formulated so that you do not need a
two-part mix. This is the simplest, fastest way to either repair or
finish a rod. Time is money in your pocket!
The Merrick Miracle Dryer will pay for itself by
drastically increasing your production. The unit weighs 24 lbs. and
is 11"x12.5"x14". This technology has been proven and tested
by major manufacturers.
You know what it's like when you have a customer in a hurry because he's leaving on the fishing trip of a lifetime and everything rests with you getting his rod done. This is the answer!

Merrick's Got It in stock now! See our link at the left of your screen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish in 15 Seconds & Go Fishing!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 11:09AM

I received one of these units yesterday and we will be doing a product review on it in RodMaker early next year.

Experience thus far
Date: November 09, 2001 12:25PM

Well, I gave it a shot on a few wraps this morning. It does work - cures in 15 seconds and is ready to go fishing.

Here's the rub - the way it looks when you put it in the UV unit is the way it will look when it comes out. With most 2 part epoxies, you rely on the flow characteristics of the finish to level out brush strokes, high or shallow areas, etc. With this stuff, you have to manually manipulate it and get it exactly the way you want.

The samples of their work, which was included, was horrendous. Hills, valleys, dry areas, etc. I took a bit more time and did discover I got a smoother surface by applying with one of those cheap foam applicator paint brushes. The finish is thick - about like 15 minute old Flex Coat so it stays where you put it, at least for several minutes, but not much in the way of flow characteristics - your personal handiwork determines what it will look like. Once I got it where it looked presentable, I popped it in the unit and hit the switch. POP! The fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and tried it again. This time it worked normally and I removed the blank and wrap and had a fully cured version of what I had put in. Not too shaby.

If you are in need of "quick and dirty" repair finishing that can be done in a matter of minutes, this thing could have great promise. Custom rods? I'm not sure yet. More testing is needed. I also do not know the long term performance and look of the finish used. Does it yellow? Crack? Adhere? Can't determine that in a day, but will be working on it.

The 'miracle' dryer?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 09, 2001 02:01PM

Tom,
I think you answered what I was going to ask.

What is the long term holding of this quick cure device?
Sounds good for some repair work maybe.

Also, I am thinking maybe different finish formulations might react differently. Look okay at first, but change perhaps the chemisty in the cure? Most finish manufacturers give specific instructions for mixing as well as the time for curing, rotating for a leveling finish, and all that.

To me that time with rotating and levelling is all important and I choose finishes that will accopmlish this for the finest look on a custom rod.

I would think also bubbles would be permanent with the bumps and valleys. Ther is a lot to rely on here for this idea to result in the more fool proof method of rotating for a longer period, and what is to gain if the custom rod will have a poor finish.

Perhaps a good adaptation is for the 'quick fix' repair work. Sounds like a fair device for the repair shop that would like to save time. It needs a better and longer term field evaluation for the custom builder in my opinion.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: The 'miracle' dryer?
Date: November 09, 2001 03:28PM

Rich,

The type operation we are talking about requires a specific finish - you can't just use any type. It has to be UV sensitive and to this particular light range.

My unit began smoking and blowing fuses on the second run. Obviously this particular unit has some problems. But the UV cure works, and in about 15 seconds.

By applying the finish carefully and then allowing it to flow a bit, perhaps for about 5 minutes or so, I was able to get a finish that looks as good as anything else I have ever seen. No bubbles, no waves, etc. But it is not the UV lighting unit that does that - you have to. If you slop the stuff on and brush enough to create bubbles, or an uneven finish, then it will cure with those very things apparent in the final product.

What needs to be determined now is how well this particular finish will hold up over time. How the clarity and color are affected by use and exposure. I will know more in a couple months.

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 03:30PM

How does one find it on the Merrick site?

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.53.174.81.snfr.grid.net)
Date: November 09, 2001 04:28PM

Tom, Will it do one of them new 'White Castle" frozen burgers real quick ?.............Sorry........hadda say it !!!
Actually it sounds like it may have some applications, I may have to rewire my shop though !
Meiser

Date: November 09, 2001 04:39PM

Similar units have been used for years in the Asia rod building market. Typically, they have used very large units that allowed finished rods to pass through the UV box. By the time each rod exited the box the finish was cured.

Finish application time and quality of that application is up to the builder, the box just cures the UV sensitive finish. Yes, it does have great possibilities provided the actual finish has the qualities we desire in our custom rods.

I have another unit on the way and will resume testing next week. Be aware though, that the final word on the finish can't be made for many weeks, if not months. It' s goint to take some use, exposure to the elements and a few other long term tests. But we'll get it done.

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: November 10, 2001 04:08AM

You can do almost the same thing with a light bulb, but it took 5 minutes.. I pulled my lamp down over LS and in less than 5 minutes is was hard, I realize the finish was in a foil cup but if you made a dryer box and you got the temps right that rod could be done in less than an hour, and this works with LS and FlexCoat .. But this 15 second deal sounds good because then this would cure that Football affect on the guides.......

Date: November 10, 2001 08:25AM

That's not really the same thing. You are using heat to accelerate the cure time. With this new UV system, the light waves rather than actual heat trigger the cure. And, it is fully cured in 15 seconds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster