I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal edges curling / lifting
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 05:52AM

I installed a Mud Hole custom decal (peel & stick type) for the first time. I followed the correct procedure, using Scotch tape to handle the decal and avoiding contact with my fingers. I applied it directly to the blank and put a coat of Pro Kote finish over it. After some minutes of drying the decal bottom edge started to lift and peel away from the blank :(

I think I will leave it to dry and after 24hrs use a razor to fix the finish and then recoat. However any ideas that might help me avoid this problem ? Will applying water based CP over the decal before the finish help ? Or should I install the decal over a coat of finish rather than directly on the blank ? I need to find some way to make sure the edges stick tightly to the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal edges curling / lifting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2015 08:05AM

Generally I always apply a coat of CP over any decal. The epoxy stays "wet" for longer than most CPs or spray fixatives, which gives it more time to undermine the decal adhesive. Sealing those edges with CP or similar tends to prevent this.

You can also "clamp" the decal to the blank by winding D or E thread over it, under snug tension, allowing that to set for a few hours, then removing the thread.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.2.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 08:16AM

I was having the same problems at one point with those decals (on and off issues of lifting, my thought was too much moisture/humidity in the air). On certain blanks and applications of the decals I now use Krylon Fusion Clear Gloss right over the decal and surrounding area. Or like Tom stated, when in doubt use the clamping method. Good luck on the next one! ;)

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 12:28PM

I've never used their decals but i always apply my Decal Connection decals over a coat of finish. Haven't had one lift yet.

Date: June 07, 2015 12:31PM

Thanks guys. Do you think I will be able to fix with a blade ? Would you wait for it to harden well before trimming the problem with the blade ?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 12:32PM

I eliminated this problem by first putting a thin coat of epoxy on the blank, and putting the decal on just after the epoxy has set up. In my case, putting the decal on in the morning after epoxying the evening before.

Date: June 07, 2015 12:44PM

Re CP, do you apply it over the whole decal or just on the edges ? Re clamping, do you mean wrapping the whole area just like a guide wrap, leave it for some hours and then remove thread and apply finish ?

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 03:06PM

Mine did the same thing even after following Mudhole's directions. The next time I will lay it down on the first coat of finish instead of right on the blank.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2015 08:26PM

I've also found that wrapping the decal around a dowel rod or a sharpie pen (or something round) for a week or so prior to application will "train" the decal that it is going to go on a circular surface. Put a few rubber bands around it to hold it in place. Seems to help some....but not always.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 09:07AM

I think many builders underestimate how important it is to really rub the decal hard with a tool like a thread burnishing tool. Especially at the edges. Use a sheet of paper to prevent scuffing of the decal. An easy way to get the same effect as wrapping the decal with thread to be taken off later is to put a piece of paper onto the blank over the decal, then tightly wrap it with electrical tape, really stretching the tape. This puts a lot of pressure uniformly onto the decal. Leave it overnight, then remove.

Alistair, I use CP just at the edges of the decal. Yes, Tom meant to wrap the whole area of the decal with thread, just like a guide wrap, removing after letting it set overnight. If you put the decal onto a coat of wrap finish like some recommend, then be sure to make your wraps just as tight as a guide wrap. The wrap finish is softer than the blank and could allow small "ridges" to form if not done well. I personally think that Tom has it right with stating that epoxy stays fluid so long relative to CP that it has time to attack the adhesive. A fast drying protectant at the edge, like CP or fixative prevents this. Also, really burnish the decal onto the surface as mentioned above.

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: June 10, 2015 11:09AM

thanks very much Michael!

Posted by: chuck brown (208.95.181.---)
Date: June 17, 2015 02:07PM

Decal Connection would be happy to help you with your decal needs. You may call or email us 931-436-5021 or orders@decalconnection.com Thank you Debbie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster