I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which epoxy yellows the slowest
Posted by: matthew allen (---.united.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 07:00PM

Hey guys I'm having some issues with epoxy. I am currently using pro kote high build and when I use this epoxy on white blanks it yellows very quickly I have several rods that have turned yellow after just two or three trips when the sun is out. My question is what is the best epoxy that yellows the slowest. I order some flex coat UV to try out any opinions would be great. Also is there any alternatives to epoxy over labels on white blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which epoxy yellows the slowest
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 07:41PM

Permagloss or an Auto Clear
The Lumiseal should be better Permagloss is hot and CP should be used first

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 09:46AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2015 08:30PM

All the epoxies are going to amber/yellow to some extent. Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

If you can utilize a product such as Lumaseal or PermaGloss, you'll find them to stay perfectly clear. But they don't offer the same build/appearance as epoxy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 02, 2015 12:42AM

Matthew,
You could use yellow thread on your white blank and then the epoxy would blend in.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 02, 2015 07:54AM

I recall a test being performed where all the epoxies were mixed and poured out on a glass surface and allowed to level. They were set outside in the sun for a period of time. The epoxies that yellowed the least among those tested were pro kote and threadmaster.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: June 02, 2015 08:01AM

There were two tests done as I remember, the one that ProKote did and where their finish yellowed the least, and the one that Threadmaster did where their finish yellowed the least.

Date: June 02, 2015 08:20AM

James Newsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There were two tests done as I remember, the one
> that ProKote did and where their finish yellowed
> the least, and the one that Threadmaster did where
> their finish yellowed the least.

James,

The test results I am referring to was from a test done by a well known rodbuilder in an independent manner. The test was done in a Northern climate and sunlight patterns.

I would tend to have more confidence in these results than any results reported by manufacturers in their advertising.

Someone in a Southern climate may experience different yellowing rates among the various products. Also, any reformulated products since that test a few years ago may achieve different results.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: June 02, 2015 09:16AM

In my experience Flex Coat yellowed very quickly and ProKote performed the best.

Date: June 02, 2015 09:19AM

Was that the Flexcoat UV the new stuff That I like The old syuff does yellow fast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2015 09:26AM

In all independent tests that I have seen the ProKote yellowed the least.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Date: June 02, 2015 09:29AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was that the Flexcoat UV the new stuff That I like
> The old syuff does yellow fast

Bill,

To the best of my recollection the Flex Coat product tested was the original non-UV formula.

Date: June 02, 2015 09:40AM

Got a few rods in the salt Going to see if I can get to check them and see if they yellowed
Thanks

ProCoat -- Hmmmm Got to try that

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 02, 2015 09:47AM

This is a thread on how quickly various epoxies yellow over time. Yellowing is not the only factor one should consider to find the epoxy that bests suits their needs. Some other things to consider are properties like:

1) how hard the cured finish is - a soft finish like Pro Coat used on an underwrap will allow top threads to dig into the finish making packing of threads more difficult. Soft finishes, compared to harder finishes, are less durable on rods that see really heavy use or abuse.

2) how flexible the cured finish is - a hard finish that does not flex well will experience cracking and premature failure on rods that have small radius of bend when loaded (fast / extra fast actions)

3) how easily the products mixes up

4) how easily the product releases microbubbles

5) adequate pot life

6) cure time

7) film thickness without sagging

8) self leveling qualities

These are probably some more. Each epoxy is a balance of these kinds of factors, there is no one best product that does it all. These properties are not meant to be in any order either; each person may find factors that are more important to them. If you've been using a product and are getting good results stick with it, why change? I'd only consider changing products if you can't get one to do what you want or need it to do. Every epoxy has a learning curve to get the best you can from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 09:51AM by John E Powell.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-192.myvzw.com)
Date: June 02, 2015 10:21AM

JOHN & TOM

Amen, Brother. Could not have said it better myself.

"Nature of the Beast"

"Yellowing is not the only factor one should consider to find the epoxy that bests suits their needs."

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2015 10:21AM

I believe that most are mentioning and making reference to the standard Pro Kote Finish, not the Hi-Build.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2015 10:57AM

Bob is correct. Being as the ProKote Hi build has an accelerated cure rate it is going to yellow faster. I still find that the regular ProKote yellows less than any other 2 part 1-1 epoxy finish.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 03, 2015 07:37AM

I ran these durability/yellowing tests on blanks i covered in thread, various finishes and then put in my backyard Memphis TN.
Some have been out there 5 years now.
If you use enough CP permagloss stays the most clear but your thread will be very faded even with CP.
I even used non rod building finishes like Delft water based.

Of the epoxies what worked best for me was Threadmaster Lite.

I have been doing tests on my wooden rod handle finishes.
Epiphanes is now what i coat my wooden handles with.
Or PG if the result looks OK but the richness of color from Epiphanes just does it for me so that is what i use.
Your milage will vary by climate, sun etc.

You may want to do this yourself as you will also see what 110 summers and minus 20 winter can do to your glue up process.
And wraps on guides.
Well i learnt a lot from it but i may just have started out more dumb.

Oh and none of them are squirell proof.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster