I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Running guide sizes in Fuji KR
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: May 31, 2015 02:47AM

Hi guys. I'm building my second Fuji KR Concept rod and was wondering what are the factors that need to be considered in choosing the size of the running guides, now that we have more options. For my first KR rod I used 4.5mm running guides and it works great. For this 2nd rod, I intend pairing it with 3000 or 4000 reels having 15-20lb braid - I still want to build a micro rod for shore spinning but I want it to be a little bit tougher than the first one. Still don't know whether to raise the running guide size to 5mm or 5.5mm. Any idea on what I should consider for this decision ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Running guide sizes in Fuji KR
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2015 07:52AM

Generally the idea is to use the smallest and lightest guides that will easily pass your line, any connections, and hold up to the task required. If you need more strength for rough handling, etc., then larger guides might be in order. Then again, larger guides are easier to hang or catch on rod box lids, etc.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2015 08:18AM

Alistar;
I'm not sure what type of fishing you do. But I use braided lines between 65 to 80 test. Throwing Alabama rigs weighing up to 7 oz. on bait casting rods having ALPS 3-mm running guides all the time with NO problems.

On spinning rods I use braid up to 40 test with Batson's 2 and 2.5- mm guides that work great as well.

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 31, 2015 10:43AM

Alistar, the 4.5 runners will work just fine for a 3 0r 4000 series reel.. If you feel uncomfortable with the 4.5's you can go up to 5's, but it isn't necessary.. And that is using braid up to 20lb. test.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 31, 2015 03:35PM

Agree with Ernest on size. Smallest line to line knot that is reliable is the Alberto, much smaller than the double uni. Just make sure to put the tag end back through the loop on the same side it came in on. If in doubt search for on-line knot instructions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 09:55AM

Alister,
If you have even a slight chance of running heavier mono line, consider the use of a bit larger guides.

Too be honest, I just do not know if fussing with these extra small guides is worth the hassle of putting them on a rod. But, do what you feel does the best job for you and your client, if building for a client.

Good luck

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 01, 2015 06:10PM

I don't think it's an issue of the line as much as it is of knots. 4.5's can take just about any line, but maybe not just about any knot.

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: June 02, 2015 02:08PM

Thanks for all your comments guys. Very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster