I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

correct angle for cork tape winding?
Posted by: Ed McCall (---.leaseweb.com)
Date: May 14, 2015 09:26AM

As I am not as experienced as most of you guys please humor me for a moment. I am trying to wind cork tape around the butt of a surf rod blank. The blank is 7/8" at the butt and tapers to about 9/16" at the point just behind the reel seat. The distance from the butt to the rear of the seat is 23". Is there any formula for telling me how long of a section of cork tape I need so I can cut off that amount and not have to work the whole roll? Plus any formula of what angle to lay the tape on at? The tape is adhesive on the back side and I am having trouble getting the angle right. Also should I wrap from the butt towards where the reel seat is going to be or the other direction? Thanks for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: correct angle for cork tape winding?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 10:33AM

Ed,

A simple way to do it is to take low tack blue masking tape and just use tape to both experiment with and to also get the measurement needed. Select tape that is the same width as the cork tape and depending on whether you plan to overlap the cork or to simply wrap the cork so that the previous wrap just touches the next wrap - wrap the tape on the same way.

When you get the layout the way that you want - peel off the tape and measure it. Then, cut off an extra foot or cork or so and rewrap the blank using the cork.

Good luck

p.s.
I think that no matter the direction you wrap, you should have something handy so that for both short and long term use; you have something to secure the ends of the cork wrap so that the cork does not want to unwrap from the rod.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2015 10:41AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Ed McCall (---.leaseweb.com)
Date: May 14, 2015 10:55AM

Thanks. It never occured to me just to do a trial with tape. Duh! Still wonder if there is a formula.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.sub-70-196-192.myvzw.com)
Date: May 14, 2015 11:22AM

As a general rule, multiply the length of the grip by 3 and you should be good to go.

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 11:58AM

I use the blue painters tape to get the diameter of the blank where my cork tape wrap starts. I then use that piece laid on the cork tape to get my angle for the wrap. I lay the blue tape at an angle starting at the corner of the end of the cork tape. that corner to where the blue tape end lays on the opposite side gives the angle of the wrap. This probably doesn't make as much sense as just seeing it done. I start at the reel seat (not really sure it matters though). I put a little bit of rubber cement on the blank as I go to help with adhesion. Once I start the wrap, I put painters tape around the beginning to hold the little pointy end of the cork down. I finish the cork tape wrap at the butt where the butt cap will cover it. I again use blue painters tape to hold the end until it sets up. The length times 3 seems to be a good rule on the length of cork tape needed.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 09:24PM

Wrap a piece of stiff paper around the blank behind the seat and mark at the overlap. I usually add 1/8" lay the paper across the cork tape so the mark is on one edge and the corner of the paper is on the other edge mark that angle and cut it. That should give you a good angle to work with

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 09:25PM

Wrap a piece of stiff paper around the blank behind the seat and mark at the overlap. I usually add 1/8" lay the paper across the cork tape so the mark is on one edge and the corner of the paper is on the other edge mark that angle and cut it. That should give you a good angle to work with

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 15, 2015 01:35PM

Short answer - yes, you can calculate the length.

Long answer - here's the equations (note that I can't use standard math text in this forum so it may be a bit inelegant to read)

The conical spiral with angular frequency a on a cone of height h and radius r is a space curve given by the parametric equations

x = [(h-z)/h] r cos (a z)
y = [(h-z)/h] r sin (a z)
z = z.

The general form has parametric equations

x = t r cos (a t)
y = t r sin (a t)
z = t.

This curve has arc length function, curvature, and torsion given by

s(t) = 1/2 t sqrt[1 + r^2 (1+ a^2 ^2)] + [(1 + r^2) / 2 a r] sin h (-1) [a r t / sqrt(1 + r^2)]
k(t) = a r sqrt[4 + a^2 t^2 + r^2 (2 + a^2 t^2)]^2 / [1 + r^2 (1 + a^2 t^2)]^3/2
"contour integral of" (t) = a (6 + a^2 t^2) / [4 + a^2 t^2 + r^2 (2 + a^2 t^2)]^2

Or, as Roger suggests the KISS method - you wrap the blank with tape of the same width, then pull it off and measure it. ;-)

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.cnrocmta01.conrtx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 15, 2015 02:15PM

Typical engineer. ;-)

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 15, 2015 02:30PM

Just typical?

;-)

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.cnrocmta01.conrtx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 15, 2015 02:53PM

Just typical because you didn't create a table with a range of tape widths and solve the equation for length. You could have then created a nomograph to simplify the calculation for all possible combinations of tape widths, and radii along a cone. ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 03:18PM by Steve Hartzell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster