I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different types of threads
Posted by: Ed Bingle (---.cableusa.cc)
Date: May 14, 2015 06:54AM

I noticed on my twitter and facebook account people have shown builds where they are using embroidery thread and sewing thread on their wraps.
1st I am not accustom to using these threads.
2nd does the color preserver work on this thread?
3rd How do they hold up under UV?
4th What problems can I see using these threads?

There are a boohoo of wonderful threads if using them is applicable.
Can anyone give their experience with common sewing threads?

Build your dreams and dream what your going to build.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different types of threads
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 07:24AM

G'Day Ed I've been using embroidery threads for some time now around 6-7 years & never had a problem with them .I use them for my guide wraps also & despite the best efforts of my son non have ever let go That said I normally build 8-10 lb rods as they are in demand in my location I guess that there a tick over 100 rods that I have wrapped.As for cp I use it religiously s.as the thread contains silicon that is used for the machine .Make sure that you purchase the polyester thread & not the rayon .
As for UV protection I haven't noticed any fading what so ever The advantage is the range of colours they have .I hope I have been of some help

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: May 14, 2015 07:27AM

Barry
Thanks for responding
Do you get any fuzz or air problems when you epoxy?

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: May 14, 2015 09:52AM

Fuzz will depend on the type of thread. stick with polyesters and nylons and you should be good. Rayons and cottons have been known to have issues.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 14, 2015 10:02AM

Ed,

The topic of embroidery threads came up a month or so ago with respect to lubricants. I was lured into using embroidery thread by the vast array of vivid colors. After half a lifetime of the same old gudebrod nylons, it was exciting to have so many new opportunities to express my creativity and moods. So, I have started using Madeira which is lubricated. A poster in that thread wrote that the brands of thread they use may be lubricant free. His post peaked my interest, so I emailed or telephoned each company mentioned in the thread and was disappointed to learn that all the embroidery threads are lubricated. This means if you decide to start using embroidery thread, you will have to decide how to deal with the lubrication added to the thread. You can't really ignore the lubricant. You may be lucky initially, but sooner or later you're going to experience finish problems.

There are two schools of though on how to deal with the lubricants. Color preserver, and using a section of the thread added to the epoxy finish during the mixing stage. I use color preserver. I do not add thread to the epoxy - to me, this approach (if it actually works at all) leaves too many variables. Who's to say that if you try it and it worked that that is the actual reason why it worked? Sometimes, you can finish over lubricated embroidery thread and use no color preserver or thread in the epoxy and still get good results. Among the two approaches, color preserver is the more reliable and consistent approach so that is what I do.

If you're like minded in that color preserver is the way you want to work with embroidery thread, then you have to decide for yourself where you want to use color preserver on your rods. This is one of those hot button topics with many differing opinions. Is the use of color preserver on guide wraps going to be a problem for the rods you build. For many people no, for others it can be. I fall into the latter group of people.

I build rods mostly for a charter fleet that see severe duty. I don't want color preserver on my guide wraps. I prefer to have epoxy soak through my thread all the way to the blank. When you use color preserver first, it prevents the epoxy from soaking through to the blank, the epoxy ends up being a coating over the thread which is not as strong. Is this a big deal on your panfish rod? Probably not, that's why I recommend that you decide for yourself if color preserver is appropriate on your guide wraps.

This is the approach I've settled on:

Dec Wraps:
I use Madeira Polyneon 40 (lubricated embroidery thread) with or without some of my old stock of Gudebrod regular and NCP threads (unlubricated nylon) for decorative wraps. Unless I am doing something like an old school tartan wrap or plaid bleed, I'll color preserve the decorative wrap.

Guide wraps:
I use mostly my old stock of Gudebrod regular and NCP supplemented with other colors of nylon threads from current manufacturers to closely match colors in my Dec Wrap. As I do not apply color preserver to guide wraps, this means I have to have samples of all the threads with finish applied over various sample blank colors so I know what the final color will look like.

This kind of approach takes a commitment in both materials and supplies to do right. You need to build enough rods to justify so many spools of thread. It's not for everyone. If you're a casual builder you can build however you want. if you experience a problem, you can just fix it and move on. I can't afford to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 07:45AM by John E Powell.

Date: May 14, 2015 10:26AM

Barry, Chris, and John
Thank you
Great information. The reason for this question now more than in the past. I am getting a lot of request for young ladies and children rods where pinks and purples are a main color. I have a lot of these colors solid.
In embroidery thread I see where they have mixed colors more available for what I am wanting to do.

Build your dreams and dream what your going to build.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 03:31PM

Barry

"Make sure that you purchase the polyester thread & not the rayon".

What are the issues with rayon embroidery thread? I just purchased some rayon embroidery thread to wrap a spinning rod for my 3 year old Grandson. I asked my daughter-in-law what color thread wraps and she told me the same colors as the GT40 colors. I could not find a wrapping thread that matched the GT40 orange so I went with embroidery thread that is made of rayon. Should I forget using the rayon and go with a ProWrap Colorfast thread that is close in color?

Please share your thoughts,

TKS,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 03:31PM

Barry

"Make sure that you purchase the polyester thread & not the rayon".

What are the issues with rayon embroidery thread? I just purchased some rayon embroidery thread to wrap a spinning rod for my 3 year old Grandson. I asked my daughter-in-law what color thread wraps and she told me the same colors as the GT40 colors. I could not find a wrapping thread that matched the GT40 orange so I went with embroidery thread that is made of rayon. Should I forget using the rayon and go with a ProWrap Colorfast thread that is close in color?

Please share your thoughts,

TKS,

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: May 14, 2015 06:26PM

Rayon has a tendency to fuzz up. Search here for Rayon for other issues.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: May 14, 2015 06:26PM

Rayon has a tendency to fuzz up. Search here for Rayon for other issues.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 07:48PM

G'Day Donald 1 reason as Chris stated Rayon will give you fuzzies & 2 it is not as strong as the polyester .Another side issue I find is that that the polyester threads appear to have more shine to them .AS for Pro Wrap I not had good results with it .It maybe that I have a bad bunch & that's all I say because I don't want to bag a sponsor on a couple of reels of thread

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster