I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand Drying
Posted by: Trip Fugate (---.sub-70-209-17.myvzw.com)
Date: May 09, 2015 12:28PM

So I've used the search tool and found some threads about hand drying rods but nothing too specific. The startup cost limited me to what I could get so I'm going to hand turn my rods for finishing and drying. Does anyone have a specific way of going about it or is it more of a trial and error thing? Thanks.

-Trip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand Drying
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 12:33PM

Get a large long cardboard box and cut a V groove at either end. Set it on a tv stand or some other stand of comfortable height next to your arm chair,, Place the rod in the grooves and sit down with a good movie while you turn it. Helps if your wife will bring you an occasional beer.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 01:05PM

While the wrap epoxy is fresh, you will need to turn the rod 180 degrees frequently, say every 5 minutes. Then as it starts to cure, say 1/2 hour, turn 180 degrees every 15 minutes for another hour. Then test to see if the epoxy has set enough to quit turning. Test the residual left in your mixing cup, NOT by touching the rod wraps, unless you like finger prints on the wrap!

After doing this a few times, you will want a drying motor set up!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2015 01:39PM

Mudhole has a set up motor and one stand $40.00 plus shipping Unless your place is real warm figure about 4-5 hours of turning

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2015 04:56PM

I've never used a motorized dryer for my custom rods - I prefer to turn by hand. One key is to make sure you turn the rod a full 180 degrees each time, not just some haphazard amount.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2015 05:40PM

Trip, I know what you mean about the start up costs associated with rod building. To make a long story short .... I built my own hand wrapper, and motorized rod dryer. I was lucky and had a lot of the material on hand for the wrapper and rod dryer, All I had to buy was some basic hardware. I got the motor for the rod dryer from a defunked microwave. The chuck for the rod dryer I made from a PVC pipe end cap, and a wheel barrel tire inner tube, that I fashioned to copy the Flex Coat chuck you see in a lot of supply catalogs. All in all if I would have had to buy the wood, I probably have around $50 tied up in the wrapper and rod dryer. They work quite well for the limited number of rods I've built thus far.

I will say that while the microwave motor worked well for turning the rod to dry it, the RPMs were very slow (6 RPM) and made applying finish slow and tedious, so I just upgraded to a 18 RPM motor that I got from Mud Hole for $13. The 18 RPM motor makes applying finish much faster and neater, and it works just as well for drying

The cost to build a rod dryer for yourself would probably run you about $20 - $25.

Posted by: carol staiculescu (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 10, 2015 12:37PM

With an old spinning reel (5:1 ratio) a coking spray cap and a rubber gasket for toilets (like this one : [www.saint-gobain-pam-cast-iron.com] ) you can make a rotation device that works pretty well . Adding a rod pod or 2 "Y" rod holders and a girlfriend or wife to spin the reel as you apply the finish and serve you beer when you take on the reel handle it's about all what you need. You can even couple the reel with an microwave motor (3-4 revolutions per minute) and you'r set.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Date: May 10, 2015 01:44PM

I used the box method for about a year, then I got a used rotisserie motor at the local thrift store and mounted it to a block of wood and a support with wheels and just taped the rod to the motor shaft. Turned at about 6 rpm's. Used it for years until I needed to upgrade. I still have it and one that turns at 18 rpm's. both still work great. Cheap too!!

Posted by: Trip Fugate (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2015 09:29AM

Well my rod came in yesterday morning and I have it build! This morning I'm going to put the finish on and hand turn it. I'm a Star Wars fan so I'm going to throw in the Empire Strikes Back and turn my rod for a couple of hours haha thanks for the info guys! I have a microwave that's in storage after our move last year that's no good for anything so I might try to convert it to my dryer motor if I'm unhappy with hand turning it

Date: May 14, 2015 06:57PM

Just don't forget what you are doing and leave it in one position for too long. Best of luck. Randy

Posted by: Trip Fugate (---.sub-70-209-49.myvzw.com)
Date: May 16, 2015 11:20AM

The rod is finished and I'm super pleased with it! putting the finish on and hand turning for drying wasn't bad at all! I turned in 180 degrees every 10 minutes or so for about an hour and a half to two hours and I'm super impressed how it turned out

Date: May 16, 2015 02:33PM

That's great Trip, nice going!!

Posted by: Dion Woodfield (147.69.134.---)
Date: May 28, 2015 07:22PM

Glad you are happy with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster