I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fore Grip Clicking Noise
Posted by: keith edmunds (---.range86-149.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 04, 2015 03:27AM

Hi Guys,

Just completed my first couple of rods and one has a very slight clicking noise from the fore-grip when I whip the blank in a hard casting motion. It's a Winn fore-grip and I used Roddancer Optimum 15 with no tape arbor. Not sure why I am getting the noise but my questions are....

(a) Should I have reamed the fore-grip and made a couple of shallow tape arbors?

(b) Is a tight fit with minimal epoxy better than a loose fit with more epoxy?

(c) Do I need a more flexible epoxy?

Any advice very gratefully received.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fore Grip Clicking Noise
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2015 07:28AM

Grips should be reamed just enough to allow them to be positioned with a dry-fit just an inch ot two lower than their final position after glue-up. No arbors are necessary unless the fit is loose from too big a hole. It sounds as if you have a gap between the grip and the blank that was not filled with epoxy by repeated sliding and twisting the grip into place before curing took place. None of the epoxies are very flexible or intended to be flexible. If the grip is tight otherwise, you could just live with the noise or redo it if it bothers you too much.

Date: May 04, 2015 10:53AM

Thanks for reply. Yes I think I will live with it - sometimes it doesn't make a noise at all. I just want to make sure that it doesn't happen on the next one.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2015 11:20AM

Keith,
Actually, it sounds like you did a perfect job on your rod build.
I see that you are one of the few builders that built in a casting effort signal into their rods. Great build. Few builders have the talent to be able to get the click announcer set up just right as you have.

Less effort and no click. Right amount of effort - slight click. Perfect job.

------------------
No issue.
Enjoy your great rod build and continue to build. The other responses have pointers in this area to relieve any future problem.
If I had to make a guess, I would think that perhaps there should be glue some where in the reel seat grip area where there currently is no glue. The parts should be a slip fit, but not a push on fit. If you have a push on fit with the parts, any glue that might have been on the surface would be wiped away when the parts are pushed together. You want just a thin layer of glue for the complete distance of both reel seat as well as grips -both fore and rear.

Good luck

Date: May 04, 2015 11:55AM

Ha ha, thanks Roger. Onwards and upwards - can't wait to start the next one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster