I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fuzzies in holo wrap
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: May 03, 2015 09:01PM

After pulling out the sacrificial thread, I applied a coat of cp. At that point I did not notice anything wrong. Went back this morning, and found what looked like an extreme amout of fuzzies in the gaps, obliterating in places the underwrap threads. It really appeared to be fuzz from the top wrap thread which was still in place. Was not the color of the sacrificial thread.

I used medium blue and gunmetal for the first wrap. Five coats of Permagloss followed by a thin coat of Flexcoat lite. Top wrap was gunmetal, with a light brown sacrificial. I used the brown because I could see it better. The fuzzies all appeared to be gunmetal grey, not brown.

I'm thinking this could be as simple as a bad spool of thread.

But, I had another thought. IS it possible I wrapped the top threads too tight, and when heated to set them into the epoxy, they stretched back out and shed the particles? Or, maybe I got the wrap too hot.

Has anybody experienced this?

ps, I just did a test wrap on a scrap using the same spool of gunmetal thread. and it seemd to be fine. No fuzzies. Curious!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fuzzies in holo wrap
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.143.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 05, 2015 03:54PM

Maybe those fuzzies aren't fuzzies but micro bubbles from the cp that get trapped in the spacings? particularly if you applied your cp length ways which traps them.What I do to avoid micro bubbles is to use a 50/50 mix of cp and distilled water (not tap water) and hold a well loaded brush on the wrap and rotate the rod and saturating the wrap. Then hold a dry brush on the wrap and remove the excess. Then another 2 more coats. By thinning the cp there is less chance of it frothing and causing the bubbles to get trapped. I also apply the first sealer coat of epoxy by not brushing length ways as this too can cause bubbles to get trapped. I apply it the same as the cp procedure putting on more than I need and taking off best part of it with a dry brush. Once the first coat is done, then you can apply finish length ways without fear of trapping bubbles as the thread spacings will be filled on the sealer coat.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: May 05, 2015 04:24PM

Thank you Steve. I did indeed apply the CP lengthways. I need to now rescue that spool of thread from the trash, and give it a test wrap.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: May 07, 2015 01:57PM

A special thanks to Mr Steve Mcleod. You hit the nail directly on the head. I stripped the top thread, sanded down, and applied a fresh thin coat of epoxy. After re-wrapping, burnishing, pulling out the sacrificial, and applying CP using Steve's method, everything is great. I even used the thread I resued from the trash; after doing a test wrap, of course.

Thank you sir.

I've been lurking on this site for quite a while. I rarely post, being a noob, with little to offer, but the few times I have posted a question, I have always received an on target answer.

Thanks to Tom, and all the experienced folks who take the time to answer questions from people like me.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.143.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: May 07, 2015 07:42PM

You're welcome Gary.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster