I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master Rod Finish Time
Posted by: Ben Eipert (170.185.147.---)
Date: April 15, 2015 01:30PM

I was wondering how long this takes to set up before being fishable. I know it sets up pretty quick and is hard in 8 or 9 hours but is it fishable in 12?
Thanks in advance,
Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master Rod Finish Time
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 02:15PM

Ben,
Any sort of guide finish gets tack free in 24 hours with the appropriate mixing ratio, mixing technique, and curing temperatures.

However, finish continues to cure for several more days up to two weeks or so.

If you have spent a considerable amount of time and money on building a rod; why rush it. Give the rod the time that it deserves for a good long lasting permanent finish and enjoy the rods for years to come.

Take care

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.17.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 03:18PM

This normally is tack free in 8-10 hours.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-148.myvzw.com)
Date: April 15, 2015 03:33PM

Hi Ben,

Although what Roger says is the correct thing to do, sometimes I can't wait! I use the Thread Master regular finish (bought my first couple batches straight from Andy) and when I am in a hurry to use the rod I raise the temp in my finish room. I've used the rods in as little as 6 hours, but I had the temp up to 88-93°f.

As long as you are willing to accept some possible finish issues or damage (I haven't had any), the timeline you propose should be fishable.

But I would raise the heat up. I recall Tom saying that for every 18-20° over 70°, the curing time is halved.

Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for your actions, regarding your rod! But if it were me, I'd be fishing!

Take care,

Chris

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 01:19PM

I am with Roger, I have never even taken a rod out to practice cast without waiting for at least 72 hours. Why take a chance?

Date: April 16, 2015 02:10PM

If you are building a rod, I am guessing that there are another 25 rods hanging on the wall for you to use. Just use one of the other rods until the finish has set up nicely on the new build rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.123.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 07:22PM

Thanks for the input. I decided to wait. I am having an issue with my finish though. I put it on about 26 hours ago. It is hard but still slightly tacky . I have not had this happen to any of my other ones. Any ideas on what caused this?
Thanks

Date: April 16, 2015 09:59PM

Ben,
Two main reasons for a finish not curing in the expected time.

1. Incorrect ratios of part A and part B.

2. Insufficient amount of mixing. I make a point to slowly mix the finish for a total of 120 seconds or two minutes, frequently wiping the sides of the craft stick used for mixing on the sides of the mixing cup, as well as scraping the sides of the mixing cup with the mixing stick so that all portions of the finish are completely mixed.

3. Insufficient heat in the curing area. The higher the temperature the better and the quicker the finish cure. General rule of thumb is to try to get the cure temperature up to about 75 or 80 degrees.

Take care

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.123.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 16, 2015 10:59PM

Figured out what happened:
1. I was feeling the cup not actual guides. I must have had some residue not mixed well on the edges. The rod set up fine, just a little slow.
2. It was 65 degrees which is a littler cooler than normal.
Everything ended up all right. I really appreciate all of your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster