I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st rod continues, epoxy question perma gloss
Posted by: John Tallyn (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2015 11:16AM

My plan is to use U 40 perma gloss as my epoxy, I do have a question regarding open wraps. Is it customary to epoxy just the threads on an open wrap, or do you epoxy the entire portion of the blank where the open wraps are? Any tips for using the U 40 perma gloss?

Thanks
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st rod continues, epoxy question perma gloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2015 04:11PM

PermaGloss isn't an epoxy so don't expect it to look quite like epoxy. It will take multiple applications, probably 4 or 5, to get any depth to the coating, although 3 is generally enough for a lifetime of hard use.

You can apply the stuff over the entire open wrap, including the open areas, or just the threads. I suspect, however, that you'll find it easiest to just do the whole thing.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2015 04:26PM

John,

Perhaps you are aware Perma Gloss is not an epoxy, (epoxy are 2 parts & requiring mixing). Perma Gloss is a one part urethane. It drys very quickly and sets up based on the moisture content in the air. You can find a lot Threads posted on this forum regarding the storage of Perma Gloss. I keep mine in the refrigerator and take it out only to pour a very small amount into a small mixing up. I then replace the bottle back into the refrigerator immediately. I apply it using disposable brushes and throw the cup and brush away after application. It is very thin, (runny), and do not try to apply a lot to the warps. It drys quickly and additional coats can be applied within a hour or two.

When you asked about applying to "over wraps" that leads me to ask you: are building an saltwater rod with under wraps and over wraps? If so I would recommend using an epoxy t coat the threads rather than Perma Gloss.

When applying Perma Gloss it is not necessary to apply it out onto the rod blank. I normally just let the edge of the brush drop off of the thread on to the blank to seal the edge of the thread to the blank. I have used Perma Gloss exclusively on a couple of bass rods and lt results in a very lite weight finish compared to epoxy. It is crystal clear, never yellows and results in a very hard finish. It will not be as glossy as an epoxy finish. If I am using Perma Gloss exclusively, I will apply 6 to 8 thin coats to the wraps. Perma Gloss is very "hot" so I would high recommend you do a test application if applying over another painted surface or decals.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: John Tallyn (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2015 04:41PM

Appreciate the info, yes I was aware that perma gloss was not an actual epoxy, just seemed easier to use the term, will be more careful next time. As far as "over wraps", again I probably should have phrased this differently, still learning all the terms. What I meant to ask was: when you do an open wrap as opposed to a closed wrap is it traditional to cover both the threads and the open areas with an epoxy or in this case perma gloss or do you just try to seal the edge of where the threads meet the blank. Seems like it would be easier to just cover the whole area, but can't seem to find pics of a finshed open wrap.
Don, I will do some more research on using perma gloss, was not aware of keeping it in the fridge, thanks.

Thanks
John

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 12, 2015 06:28PM

Hello John.

There is a "Glossary" on the top of the page that may be of some use to you, I made a copy of it when I first found this site.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster