I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook holders
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.mtjltn.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 12:21PM

I have a few questions about hook holders and their placement.
1. On most casting rods I see the holder is in front of the grip a few inches and under the blank. Does this work for most bass rods?
2. When wrapping the holder do you wrap the blank where the hook will rest while in use? I am using the longer holders and this means I have to wrap and finish the "hook" part then place the holder. Or do you just wrap the back of the holder and leave the blank uncovered under the hook area.
3. Where is the preferred placement on your spinning rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook holders
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.massmutual.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 01:01PM

!. Yes, but the hanger generally is on the opposite side of where the line comes off the spool.
2. I don't, you could but most of the time the hook is not touching the blank
3. Same as #1

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 02:50PM

Bill,
I have found that the hook keeper works best if the hook keeper is located on the side of the rod, that is on the non favored side of the rod. This way. the person holds the rod with his favored hand as he usually does, grabs the hook with his non rod holding hand and hooks it up.

I normally have it about in inch in front of the reel seat or fore grip, if there is on.

But, if it is a split grip, I will put the hook keeper about 1 inch in front of the back rod butt. This lets a person have the longest leader, if using one.

Take care

Date: April 10, 2015 03:22PM

Thanks. I will put them as suggested, sounds good. I had a bad experience on a spinning rod with the hanger between the seat and first guide. Line would catch on it even though it was on top of the blank. To far forward!

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 09:36PM

I like to use the Fuji folding hook keeps, and always put em on the bottom, an inch or 2 in front of the seat or foregrip, casting or spinning.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 09:38PM

I place them behind the seat.
If using a split grip usually place about center between the grips. on solid grips just forward enough so the person doesn't grab while casting
on the bottom of grip so it is not rubbed by the arm when in use.

Number one reason for placing behind seat is to further move balance point of rod towards butt section increasing bite detection.

I also wrap the area under the keeper where hook lies to protect the blank from the hook

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2015 09:50AM

Bill Tune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks. I will put them as suggested, sounds
> good. I had a bad experience on a spinning rod
> with the hanger between the seat and first guide.
> Line would catch on it even though it was on top
> of the blank. To far forward!

Bill,

I had a customer ask for his spinning rod hook keeper to be placed about 2" behind the reel seat on same side as the spinning reel crank handle at 90 degrees, (or 270), to the rod centerline. He likes a full length cork grip, which resulted in the hook keeper being wrapped onto the cork rear grip. He told me "try it you'll like it"! I wrapped it as he requested and I agree with him. It is out of the way; but very easy to access without having to turn the rod over to locate the hook keep. This location also eliminates any possibility of the line hanging up on the hook keeper.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 14, 2015 10:41AM

Interesting stuff. I will have some options for next time I add a keeper which I plan to do one several rods. Most all my rods are split grip and I have not put a keeper on the split area may need to try that with a Fuji band mounted keeper and see how that spot works.

Date: April 14, 2015 10:41AM

Interesting stuff. I will have some options for next time I add a keeper which I plan to do one several rods. Most all my rods are split grip and I have not put a keeper on the split area may need to try that with a Fuji band mounted keeper and see how that spot works.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster