I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

smallest stripper and choke guides for spinning rod
Posted by: peter gersumky (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 06:04PM

Was wondering what the smallest stripper and choke guides for a spinning rod with micros I could go with . Would be using a 2000 size spinning reel on a 7'6" medium powered extra fast action rod . Could I go with 16, 10, &7 then down to the micro guides which will be 4's to the tip .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smallest stripper and choke guides for spinning rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2015 07:53PM

Maybe, maybe not. Depends a good deal on the line type and size you're going to be using.

Date: April 09, 2015 09:03PM

10# braid or 6# flourocarbon.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2015 10:00PM

Lighter more supple line generally allows you to get by with a smaller ring in the butt guide (height still important) and smaller sized running guides.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 07:40AM

I have used 10mm -5mm then 2mm or 1.5 mm running guides with great success.
16mm can also be good size.

If you will read the second Article on Micros, published in Rod Make You may find some useful info there

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 08:55AM

Steve,

What model of 10mm guide are you using for the butt guide and how far are you placing them from the spool face? Even the match frame 10s are pretty short. I've used a Y frame 12 (about the same height as a match frame 10) in the past on a pack rod for my buddy to take on the Appalachian Trail, but I don't know that it was with great success there was a distance penalty for using such a short butt guide. It shows when he uses it on the local lakes it shows. But he wanted the rod to be able to be carried inside of a tube, so the compromise was made.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 09:23AM

Fuji KR Concept guides would rank as a top choice of many builders here attempting to achieve the kind of performance you're looking for.: KL16H, KL8H, KL5,5M, KB5, KB5, KT5, KT5, KT5, top. Up to 20# braid or 10lb mono. By the time you reach 12lb mono you are "generally" better off moving to a 20 stripper. 20H, 10H, 5.5M. As Tom mentioned, height is the key. If you drop to a 1000 Series reel and, say, 10# braid or 6lb mono, you may be fine with a size 10 stripper.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 11:29AM

Jim Ising nails it again! I have been following the guide sizes & height recommendations provided by Jim, (Anglers Resource), and they cast like a dream. One of my customers commented that "the choker looked too small". He was used to seeing a size 30 mm ckoker on "store bought rods". I told him to cast the rod and tell me what he thinks. I had already casted it after static loading and knew what his answer would be. He just had a smile on his face after the first cast!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 10, 2015 05:21PM

Thank you , I'm gonna go with the 16,10,7 & 4's to tip

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 09:14PM

I have built a lot of rods with Pac Bay M style butt guides in size 16 and they work excellent with mono 8# and under and light braid.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: April 11, 2015 12:58AM

Same as Marc Morrone here.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 13, 2015 10:00AM

PETER: DON'T MESS WITH THE RECOMMENDED KR GROUPS, PLEASE. YOU WILL BE MUCH HAPPIER WITH THE PERFORMANCE IF YOU DON'T MIX AND MATCH ON A WHIM. WITH A 16 STRIPPER GOING DOWN TO MICRO RUNNERS IT WILL ALWAYS BE AN 8H AND 5.5M THAT BULLSEYE AND WORK BEST.

Groups are part of the KR system.

The 16H is ALWAYS paired with an 8H
The 20H is ALWAYS paired with a 10H
The 25H is ALWAYS paired with a 12H

The third guide will vary (slightly) depending on whether you want to end with "micro" runners or "conventional" runners but the first two guides will aways be as indicated above.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: April 13, 2015 04:49PM

Marc & Eric, I've used Pac Bay 20M stripper with Shimano 1000 spinning reel and the 27x system and that worked out well. Realizing I could go smaller, I tried 16M and the height made it push out quite far from the reel seat. So how do you resolve that??

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 06:01AM

John,

You know what works well using the 20M in the 27x layout. In order to reduce the ring size, you need to go to taller frames. Choose the 16mm guide that has a similar height, and you will be good to go. If you can't get one with the appropriate height, then you've already gone with the tallest frame you can.

A great thing to do that doesn't cost a ton of money is to buy a few sets of cheap reduction guides from your favorite manufacturer. For someone building bass/walleye and panfish rods, get something like this:

In the old V frame style, get a 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 7, 6.
In the Y frame stye, get a 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 7, 6.
In the taller match or KR type frame get a 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4.

Now take your guides and sit them side by side. You'll see that the 30V, 25Y, and 20 match all offer similar heights, but with reduced weight as you go to the smaller ring. Keeping sets of these guides on hand are useful. You can use them to see the differences in the styles for yourself. You can use them to layout guides for a rod, and then if you want to use an expensive set of guides on a rod and don't want to buy extra guides, you only need to order exactly what you need. If you want to show a friend or a client the advantages of going to taller frames with smaller rings, you can do so. I try to keep 2 guides of each frame style and size on hand at all times. My biggest problem is that the guides find their way onto rods and not replaced soon enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster