I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork sealer
Posted by: Don Kaiser (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 10:46AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding some garage sale rods. I have filled the handles with wood filler and sanded them down.
Is there a sealer other than U-40 that I can get from a hardware store or a big box store?
Thanks

Don

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork sealer
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.246.---)
Date: April 09, 2015 10:53AM

Gunstock oil finish is often used. I would think any oil finish would be fine. I expect the color darkening will be more with oil than U40. I like the oil because it gives more definition to any features in the cork.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2015 12:02PM

Thompsons Water Sealer is about the only thing commercially close to the U-40 Cork Sealer. It won't darken the cork.

Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.static.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 09, 2015 01:44PM

Are there any other options?

I am building a Great Lakes Trolling rod and I want my foregrip to be sealed. Would spar varnish be too heavy?, what about two light coats?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 02:02PM

Thin down some CP and test it on some cork and see how you like the look.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 02:53PM

I would never put varnish on a grip. Too heavy and it just doesn't leave the finish that is desired.

One thing to remember with cork. Cork does not accept stain or sealer very well. Basically due to its cell structure, it tends to repel most finishes. If the finish is on the cork, it almost just flakes off, if there is much body to the finish.

If you make the foregrip out of wood, then by all means use spar varnish if you wish. Wood will accept the finish very well.

Be safe

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 03:02PM

Hello,

As mentioned Tru-Oil will work.

Some consider it sacrilege of good cork, but out of curiosity I have also tried spar varnish, the ACE Hardware brand.

Used 3-5 light coats, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly before re-coating.

Those grips have held up very well, the varnish being just a bit of weight akin to adding a length of diamond wrap and epoxy finish.

I liked how spar varnish darkens the cork too a warm golden butterscotch color..

-chad

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 09, 2015 03:10PM

Forgot to mention,

Spar varnish gets thinned with mineral spirits..

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 10, 2015 12:26AM

I love the look of varnish on cork. It is going to add a bit of weight but it looks sexy. It sounds though if you want to keep them looking true to what they looked like orignally the only thing you can find is thompsons water sealer like said before.

Marine varnish on this one:

Thompsons water sealer:

Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.static.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 08:40PM

Since I am building a Trolling rod I have decided to try the spar varnish, I dont really want a glossy look, so I am going for two light coats, three at the most, and maybe some light sanding to give some extra tooth for grip. Hopefully it works out, not really worrried about the weight its already a brick house of a rod. (Seeker 1056)

Thanks for the ideas and pics.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2015 12:25AM

Hello,

Jason you may want to try it on some scrap cork first to see if it's the look you want.

I applied the varnish as thin as I could with the rod turning, then allowed almost a week for each coat to cure sufficiently.

Fine scotch-brite pads will also work to knock down the gloss and give the grip a satin look.

-chad

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: April 11, 2015 05:15PM

I use the U-40, and then do 2 coats of a good paste wax (Like Johnson's) over this. I used to just do the paste wax. 30+ years ago I used to spray them with scotch Guard. The Wax will cause the cork to darken a little, but it makes the features in the cork stand out, and gives a semi-gloss type effect.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster