I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I've learned something about finishing
Posted by: Brian Avery (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2015 10:32AM

I wanted to share something that I've recently tried in my finishing that really works for me. Maybe some of the newer folks on the forum can save themselves from the years of irritation sub-par finishes have caused me. I'm sure many of you rod buiding vets already have discovered this.
When I went to ICRBE back in February, I was looking for a workshop on finishing. I have been to many such workshops before, including a one-on-one session with Tom Greek, and learned great info at each. However, in spite of 10+ years of building rods (albeit in fits and spurts until recently) I still was unhappy with many of my rods' finishes. Anyway, at ICRBE, I didn't see any finishing seminars that I thought would give me what I was looking for, but after handling a rod with a foam core carbon fiber grip, I decided to go to Mike P's seminar on creating these grips. The seminar was great, and I promptly bought a kit from Riley Rods, but what struck me was how quickly Mike turned the grip when applying epoxy. The light bulb came on. I have always applied epoxy using the dry function on my lathe, which spins the rod quite slowly. It takes a long time to get the wraps covered with finish at this speed, which gives the finish time to congeal. Not good. Also, application on a single wrap often was uneven and hilly. Since seeing how Mike applies his finish to his grips, I have been applying finish using the wrap function on my lathe at a pretty fast RPM. Since then, I have been as pleased as I ever have been with my finishing. The speed seems to help the epoxy go on more evenly, and finishing is so much faster that I don't have any problems with the epoxy thickening up. Also, I have had little to no need to flame my finishes since increasing the rpm's. Thanks Mike for renewing this idea for me! I hope some folks will find this helpful!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I've learned something about finishing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2015 01:01PM

Ralph O'Quinn also spins his rods at about 200RPM and applies finish with a spatula. Myself, I turn the rod by hand and it still only takes me a few seconds to coat each guide - just one revolution per guide (two perhaps if the guide wrap is a long one) and it's done. What too many builders attempt to do, is pick, poke and paint the epoxy on. There's no reason to do that.

The trick is finding the finishing application technique that suits you. Refine it and then stick to it each time.

Posted by: Jim Howell (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: April 10, 2015 12:21PM

Seems like the best control would be to get it down by hand?

Date: April 13, 2015 06:23PM

I've done that too. My early rods were all finished while rotating the rod by hand. However, I'm not one that can "just let it go". If something doesn't look right, I can't stop myself from the poking and prodding Tom is talking about. He's absolutely correct in saying that overworking is the death of many a finish. If you can do it quickly by hand that's awesome, and you will have supreme control. For whatever reason, I can't get the stuff on quickly enough rotating by hand. Finishing is like every other facet of rod building: very individualized. Best of luck!

Date: April 14, 2015 09:49AM

I should add that this new to me method is not a panacea. I just completed a 5 rod order, and on 1 of them, I put the first coat on at too high an RPM. The centrifugal forces slung the finish towards the middle of the wraps, creating a "football" in the middle and dry edges. I "thought" I corrected it, but after drying and a second coat, the center of the wrap is still bulky and the edges show some thread texture. Learned my lesson and slowed the rpm's down a bit and the remainder of the rods are really nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster