I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod line determination
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 01:07PM

I just purchased two blanks that I plan on building a matched set spinning/spin cast rods. Unfortunately the blank as no information on it and the supplied doesn't have any either. If it was a fly rod, no problem, I'd just use the common cents method to determine line weight.

Is there any way to figure line test, power, lure weight etc for a spinning rod?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod line determination
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 04:02PM

Who made the blanks? Contact them for the needed info.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 04:12PM

You could fnd the fly line for the blanks Then put that over 16 This will get in the ball park at least as to lure weight Then check blanks for that lure weight and the line will give you a good idea of what to use

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2015 05:59PM

The Common Cents method will give you the relative power (ERN) and you can use the Universal Rod Rating System for casting lure weight. Line Test is a bit arbitrary and to my knowledge there is no system that will dial that in. Most such line ratings are just general recommendations.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 05, 2015 07:03PM

Glue on a tip.
Using tape and some imagination attach your reel of choice.
Try a few casts with a range of baits.
A couple of minutes should sort out what's too light and what's too heavy.
Don't tell anyone the truth about how you did it.
Write a highly technical report using lots of scientific words, claiming to have used Krugerrand 1/10 ounce gold coins.
Book yourself on a speaking tour to explain the investment opportunities inherent in the UnCola method. (Uncommon Coin Load)

Date: April 05, 2015 07:07PM

The beauty of the Common Cents System is that it has almost no scientific words, nothing fancy, nothing involved nor hard. Dr. Hanneman's genius for making things extremely simple really shines through with the CCS. In fact, it was the simplicity of the CCS that so many found unnerving.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 07:15PM

It is beyond genius. Using a common U.S. Cent coin as the weight standard means you didn't need a scale, didn't even need to know the weight of the coin. You just matched the number of coins to the chart! The engineering types couldn't stand that you could have something that worked so good but didn't require a Ph.d to understand and use. I still think the reason it's over so many people's heads is because its just way too simple. And like has been said by many before before, if it doesn't work then we're in big trouble because we use the exact same type system for temperature, weight, length, etc., etc.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 05, 2015 09:04PM

Ahh. An experimental, empirical solution. I can compute the modulus of elasticity, divide br the rod diameter at one of the harmonic points, add the value of helmholtz constant and arrive at an approximate lure weight. From that I can determine the line size by applying Newton's third law and a little quantum mechanics. All I need is to build my Cray computer to do the calculations.

Or maybe just glue on a tip top, tape on a real and test some weights. Naa, not technical enough. ????????!

Thanks everyone for responding. Sound like a trial and error approach wins the day.

Date: April 05, 2015 09:50PM

Exactly why the Common Cents System makes so very much sense. Takes only seconds and is proven to work every bit as well as similar systems of objective and relative measurements. No technical "nonsense" necessary.

If you wanted to know the temperature you could go about it in various ways, but the simplest and easiest would be to just read a thermometer. Same with rod action and power - just dial in the required deflection and read the ERN and AA. That's all there is to it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2015 09:33AM

John,
Another very simple thing to do, is to simply go to a store that has a bunch of fishing rods on display. Take the rod blanks with you.

It should take about 1 minute to find a rod blank that is rather similar to any blank that you might have.

Just do a flex text against the carpeted floor with your new blank compared to any of the in store blanks. Then, just read the label on the rod that is a close match to your new blank.

Or, if you own a bunch of rods already, just go to your rod locker and do the same thing.

Simply put, there just isn't a lot of variation in rod blanks that have roughly the same size rod butt, tip size and general blank taper, with respect to line weight.

Or use the CCS as well if you like.

Take care

Posted by: John DeMartini (184.90.159.---)
Date: April 06, 2015 11:45AM

John

If the blanks are of unknown origin then whose to say what they were intended to be. At this point it seems you can make them anything you want provided they perform to your expectations.

I would not worry about matching the line strength to the blank, I would be more concerned with the kind and type of fishing you will be doing and matching the blank to meet those needs. Since you have the blanks then I suggest temporarily tape on the guides and try several types and strengths of lines until you find the best match.

I take two rods with me plus 4 spools of different strengths and styles braid, nono and fluorocarbon. If I find the fishing conditions call for a preferred line then I switch spools and go to town. If I need to flip in heavy cover I have been known to use 50lb braid on a 12lb rated blank.

My advice is to build the blanks to fit your needs and let the strength issue be whatever works.

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2015 05:48PM

I agree with John comments.

To a very large degree, one really does not have to be very concerned about line size or strength for a particular rod blank.

As long as one uses common sense, i.e. lighter line with lighter blanks and heavier line with heavier blanks you will be good to go.

Rod blanks are very seldom broken by using line that is too strong.

They are normally caused by rod abuse.

Good luck

Date: April 06, 2015 06:49PM

The idea is that if the line you use will break before the rod, then you can't overload the rod. Of course, even this is overcome in a high sticking scenario.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster