I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burnt Cork and Burl Cork Rings - What is this stuff?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 02, 2015 07:57PM

Anyone know what burnt cork and burl cork rings are actually made of?

In working with them the burnt cork is a little prone to crumble, and I can't tell what it really is. The burl looks like some kind of laminated cork shavings.

I am liking the burl more, and am looking for harder material to add to Tennessee handles.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 08:00PM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burnt Cork and Burl Cork Rings - What is this stuff?
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: April 02, 2015 08:31PM

Hi Marc,
I have used burl cork and exotic burl cork in place of high grade cork. I especially like it for saltwater rods. As I understand burl cork is made from pieces of cork mixed with a resin and formed into blocks. These blocks are then cut into rings. A couple of years ago some suppliers were selling the burl cork blocks. Like you I found the burnt cork to be too crumbly. On some rods I mix wood grips with the burl corks just too give a bit contrast to the look of the rod handle. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2015 09:18PM

"Burnt Cork" is chemically treated and the process results in the cork becoming slightly brittle. Once you get it glued up and shaped, it's pretty durable, but getting to that point requires a bit more care than is required with regular cork.

Date: April 02, 2015 09:47PM

Thanks Tom. Any idea what chemically treated is?

Also, am I right in saying the burl looks like cork shavings glued together?

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2015 12:01AM

Marc,
If you want a tougher cork replacement, use rubberized cork.
Very tough, and very suitable for trim work.

It is made with ground up cork and rubber based cement, which makes it about twice the weight of conventional cork. But it is very suitable for trim use and is much much tougher than either burled or burned cork.

Be safe

Date: April 03, 2015 05:07AM

Thanks Roger!

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 01:52PM

NOTE I was told to not use any BURL cork rings on the ends, it breaks off, use natural rings or RUBBER cork rings, will hold up longer ,
not all rubberized rings are the same color, there are light an dark rings depends of the supplier , this only goes for the start an stop rings
on your handles , if you use color BURL rings the color fades fast as the color is on the cork not in the cork ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2015 06:17PM

William,
Actually good advice.

I have used burled rings for a few of my own rods, but I am pretty careful, not to beat up the butt end of the rod.

Take care

Posted by: Joaquim Loureiro (---.netvisao.pt)
Date: April 06, 2015 07:08PM

Hello Marc,

burnt cork is prepared at 300 degrees celcius which causes the granules to lose its natural characteristics , so that cork is normally more fragile with respect to any other type of cork .
as to the decorative disks ( burl ) are produced with various types of granulated cork, virgin and amadia . this compound is placed pigmentation with the color you want and produces the block.
the block is then laminated to the desired thickness and is produced discs .
These blocks normally have a density of 400 - 490kg per cubic meter, depending from factoryt to factory-
burl discs are strong but heavy in relation to natural cork rings.

Joaquim Loureiro
cork4us.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster