I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

which paint?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 21, 2015 07:52PM

I'm putting yellow guide wrapping thread on a graphite blank. In order to make the yellow "pop" I need to paint the blank white where the thread will cover. I'm concerned the two-part epoxy I'll use to coat the wrappings will dissolve the paint underneath and make it bleed through the yellow thread wrapping, resulting in an ugly mess and an ugly clean up. What type of paint should I use to avoid this problem?
Would covering the white-painted portions with a couple of coats of CP insure the epoxy won't cause the paint to dissolve?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which paint?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2015 07:57PM

Epoxy doesn't contain solvents and therefore shouldn't dissolve the paint, provided the paint is completely dry.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 01:59AM

A yellow-gold metallic under wrap may give you more pop. Are you using nylon?

Don Becker

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 08:49AM

NCP thread with CP over will also help it pop if you paint under use a lacquer paint drys faster

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 08:50AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 02:06PM

If you are really looking for "pop", do not use NCP thread! It has chalk added to make in more opaque, this also dulls the color when compared to regular nylon with CP. It will be yellow, but not bright.

Date: March 22, 2015 02:19PM

I used it on orange and it came out nice
But the regular nylon is brighter looking With the white under

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jim barb (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2015 05:05PM

I take mine to a body shop near by. They paint them white with flex in the paint and clear after painting. Same as they do a car. They come out great and he charges about $7 a rod. I run a piece of mono through the rod wit a washer tied to each end so he can tie them to saw horses to paint.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 23, 2015 10:31AM

jim: Thanks for the tip. $7 for a professional paint job (two coats) with top quality paint is a great deal! I'm not painting the whole blank, only those areas which will be wrapped in thread - which I mask off. Even so I would have shopped for a body shop deal like the one you have going.

Date: March 23, 2015 11:26AM

This is what I spray with Perfect Match
[www.duplicolor.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 24, 2015 03:41PM

$7.00 I can't get a pro to paint a rod here for less than $100.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster