I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

re-gluing rod grip
Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 11:28PM

I built a switch rod grip on the blank, but discovered the uppermost 3 " has a small amount of movement when I put a little side torque on it. I gather I somehow must not have gotten enough epoxy onto the blank at that section. I don't want it to get worse, and I don't want to strip everything off and re-do it. I wondering if I can poke a syringe down through the winding check and squirt something like crazy glue in to tighten up the bond. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: re-gluing rod grip
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 11:39PM

G'Day Rick I had one like that a few years ago & how I overcame the problem was to put a slit in the grip on the underside where it wouldn't be noticed & then with a syringe I injected some 5 min epoxy thinned slightly I think with Acetone .As soon as I finished with the epoxy I wrapped some masking tape around the slit & pulled it tight & then over wrapped that with twine & when dry removed all the wrapping & could hardly notice the slit .I just gave it a quick sand .As good as new & still going .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Garry Thornton (76.172.107.---)
Date: March 18, 2015 12:41AM

I saw an article or video where someone replaced a damaged cork ring. After cutting out the damaged area a new ring was sized then cut on one si.de The new ring was placed in hot water until it could be stretched over the blank and epoxied into place.
My thought is you can do the same.
Find the loosest area, remove one ring, inject epoxy, then replace with a new fitted cork ring. Wrap the patch in a paper towel then tape or clamp etc.
I wouldn't put tape directly on the cork for fear of pulling out any filler, in the cork, when the tape is removed.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 10:46AM

I think your original suggestion will work fine if you use a real medical syringe, get them inexpensively at any drug store. Ask for the biggest needle size. I would stick the empty syringe in first to check to see if it will clog with the cork. If it does, clean it out and stick it in repeatedly until it is not clogged when it comes out. Then slowly inject liquid epoxy. I don't think you will have to thin it. Then fill the hole, If there is one, which should be indetecable exc for the closest scrutiny.

By doing it in this sequence, if it doesn't work you can go more aggressive, but I don't think you will have to remove rings.

I expect you're going to get more posts by builders who have fixed this problem, so you might want to wait a while before working on the rod.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 01:56PM

One suggestion on gluing back together a grip that you have "sliced" the long way for whatever reason.
If you want to protect the grip if it is cork, just wrap a piece of paper around it, and then wrap with plastic electrical tape.
if you put a good amount of tension on it while wrap it will slightly stretch and help pull the opening (slice) back together again.
Try to make sure that you do not have epoxy squeeze out and have a ridge after you remove the tape and paper.
On EVA, we just directly wrap the plastic electrical tape around it.
Either way you may have some epoxy to sand off after it has cured, but the slit should be barely noticeable.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 03:20PM

Drill a small hole the size if an epoxy syringe through the cork, preferable the bottom of the grip, of the affected area. You'll know when you've reached the blank. Mix some epoxy, I use the two part flexcoat for handles, and pull the plunger from the syringe and fill it from the top. Fit the syringe tip in the hole of the handle and force the epoxy in. It will fill the void and should seep out the top of the grip. mix a little cork dust up with some glue and fill the hole. No need to cut any rings.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 04:24PM

Bingo - You win LOL
Devcon if I remember is a thinner epoxy which will help to flow into the area And it is strong

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 04:28PM by bill boettcher.

Date: March 18, 2015 10:18PM

Some excellent suggestions!
Seems simplest to try to inject liquid epoxy in, possibly having to drill/enlarge the hole if needed. I'll give that a try. Failing that, I may have to try replacing rings, etc.
I now have a plan....Thanks for your help !!

Date: March 19, 2015 07:26AM

can you slide the winning check foreward and then inject ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Daniel Merrill (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:13AM

I made that same repair recently.
I am sure there are several ways to skin this cat, this is what worked for me:

I drilled a small hole through the cork to the void (3/64). Very carefully......
Mixed up some epoxy finish (D2) and warmed it until it was water-thin. It took about 30 seconds with a hair dryer.
Quickly filled a syringe & injected the void full of the epoxy.
I stuffed a small chunk of cork into the hole & stuck the rod on the turner to try to prevent leakage (worked well).

This worked surprisingly well. And there there is no evidence of the issue remaining. It was fairly quick & easy.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 11:16AM

Good idea on warming, doesn't change the chemistry.

Date: March 19, 2015 11:17AM

I'll try moving the winding check, or drilling through to open an avenue for the epoxy.

I looked up "Devcon Liquid Epoxy" and was surprised to read it is "not exportable from the USA" (???) I'm in Canada. Any suggestions for another type?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 11:23AM by rick humphrey.

Date: March 19, 2015 11:33AM

They used to sell it at Home Depot ?? I am sure one of the suppliers have some thing to work

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 11:35AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 12:31PM

After re-reading my post I should say you want to use a drill bit just a little smaller than the opening that the epoxy comes out of the syringe. Makes for a tighter seal.
Heating the epoxy is the best way to get a better flow and retain integrity. I tried a needle from a syringe I got from my veterinarian and it had a pretty large opening but took more force than the plunger would stand, probably plugged with cork on insertion.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 12:31PM

As Bill said go to your local Big Box store they should have what you want , [ Home depot ., Lows , Ace , or Walmart ] you should have one of them or something like it ,
or a store like it, if you use heat to thin it also speeds up the set time , so play around with scrap to see what time you will have to work on it

William Sidney
AK

Date: May 01, 2015 06:20PM

Here's an update:

I drilled two holes on opposite sides, at right angles to the blank, one to inject glue, the other to relieve air pressure. I went into a burnt cork accent ring to just touching the blank, then finished with a bodkin. The hole dia was just smaller than the syringe tip to ensure a tight fit. I then mixed Flexcoat epoxy, heated it with a hair dryer, pulled it into a FC syringe, then quickly injected it into the hole until it backed up.
I pushed burnt cork sanding dust into the holes, just above the grip surface (I'll sand flush once dry), hung the rod up on my rack and waited a day. I just checked the grip...I'll be damned... IT WORKED !!

Thanks for the great advice guys...much appreciated !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 09:31PM by rick humphrey.

Date: May 01, 2015 09:31PM

rick humphrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's an update:
>
> I drilled two holes on opposite sides, at right
> angles to the blank, one to inject glue, the other
> to relieve air pressure. I went into a burnt cork
> accent ring to just touching the blank, then
> finished with a bodkin. The hole dia was just
> smaller than the syringe tip to ensure a tight
> fit. I then mixed Flexcoat epoxy, heated it with a
> hair dryer, pulled it into a FC syringe, then
> quickly injected it into the hole until it backed
> up.
> I pushed burnt cork sanding dust into the holes,
> just above the grip surface (I'll sand flush once
> dry), hung the rod up on my rack and waited a day.
> I just checked the grip...I'll be damned... IT
> WORKED !!
>
> Thanks for the great advice guys...much
> appreciated !!

To the top

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster