I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cts travel blank
Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: March 16, 2015 02:25PM

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a CTS elite SD 7'6" 3-piece blank for travelling!
Does anyone here have experience with the cts blanks in travel versions (3 or 4 pieces)?
I love their blanks but I'm a bit worried the action Will change too much when ordering the blank in more than 2 pieces!
Thanks in advance!
All the best,
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 02:25PM by jeroen teugels.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cts travel blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 02:45PM

I built 5, 3 were virtually identical, 2 were just a bit faster and ever so slightly less powerful say an upper weight of 5/8 vs 3/4 oz. casting limit. They were 3 piece EBT blanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 02:50PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:32PM

Don't worry about the ferrules and resulting actions. CTS' are the best in the industry for strength and flex profile.

what power are you considering?
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 10:36PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: March 17, 2015 05:54AM

OK, thanks guys!
Herb, I am still not sure... SD764 or SD765.
Will be used as an all-round rod for pike and see some salt on holidays too...
Regards,

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: March 17, 2015 12:21PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> actions. CTS' are the best in the industry for strength and flex profile.

> Herb

That's a bold statement. Can you prove it?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2015 07:57AM

Rick,
Let's just take one example.
CTS ferrules do not have to be wrapped for reinforcement. On my fly rods I put the minimal amount of wraps just for aesthetics. About 3/16" on the tip section ferrule of a fly rod.
I always spine and test cast my blanks HARD with temporarily fastened guides without wrapping ferrules. Never had an issue with splitting.
Gatti (Italy), however, recommends 15mm of wraps to reinforce ferrules. Blanks even come with their ferrules wrapped in tape to protect them. I once spined a 3pc #10 rod without wrapping the ferrules first. The tip section ferrule split - just from flexing enough to spine.
Sage recommends 1.5 X diameter of ferrule - which seems to be the industry standard. Some Sage two-handed rods have been turning-up with split ferrules under the wrap and finish.

Re action: I have ordered two piece and 4piece fly blanks of the same model and weight and can tell no difference in action after built and tested.

Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster