I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank question
Posted by: James DeSantis (74.117.6.---)
Date: March 16, 2015 01:33PM

Has anyone had any experience using the following fly rod blanks:

PacBay Rainforest III
2 pc. 9' 4 wt. Mod-.fast action)

or

Batson Rainshadow Revelation
2 pc. 9' 4 wt. Fast action.

Do they preform well with 4 wt. or 5 wt. line?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank question
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 05:08PM

I have built out both blanks for customers, most prefer the Batson due to it's faster action. One qualification however, none of my builds are two piece! My customers all want to travel and do not want a 4 1/2ft tube to hassle with! Little to no difference in action between 2 & 4 pc rods today, and the convenience in travel wins in the end.

I only build fly rods.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.z228-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 06:27PM

I too have built quite a few rods on those blanks. The Batson is a little faster,little lighter and more expensive but both are fine blanks. For not much more the PacBay Quickline is the best of the three. I think the Quickline is the best bang for the buck out there now. I have been trying to get ahold of the Eternity2 but will have to wait a couple more months. I used to love the old RX 7+ and RX 8+ 's

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: March 16, 2015 08:44PM

Ditto on the PB Quickline. Plus they carry CCS ratings so you know exactly what line will work at a specific length or distance. Nice and straight, beautiful gloss black finish.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 17, 2015 11:52AM

It's really nice to read posts from such satisfied Quickline users. I myself am one also. I have a good number of rods available to fish, but the Quicklines are the only ones that seem to make it into the truck to go fishing these days.
We're now in the process of field testing some new Quickline fly blanks that will fill some gaps in the existing line up of powers and lengths. We'll make it well known when the new ones arrive. Thanks.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 17, 2015 07:17PM

Hey Jeff,
Enter in our contest and you could win a RainShadow Revelation fly rod blank!!

The RainShadow Revelations have been a great seller for us. It is the replacement of the old RX7's. In fact they are in-between the RX8 and RX7.
[www.facebook.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: March 18, 2015 02:44PM

Hi Ryan,
I appreciate the heads up on the contest but I think the winner should probably be a loyal Batson customer and not a Batson competitor. That being said, I am definitely curious about other blanks on the market. Is there somewhere I can review the CCS data on the Revelation, Immortal, and Eternity blanks? I could shake a few but I find that my arm can tell me lies. Thanks.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 03:35PM

Act in haste, repent at leisure. I wouldn't buy any weight fly rod blank where casts of over 40' were necessary until I had test cast a Temple Forks BVK rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 04:12PM

And then What if ya don't like 4 pieces ? I like 2 piece rods Seems most all are making 4 piece blanks
Batson and St Croix

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster