I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Measuring epoxy
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.z228-90-67.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 07:58PM

What is interesting is I do my guide epoxy with syringes, but my CF grips by weight. The current epoxy I use for grips have a distinct different viscosity. The resin is pretty typical thickness while the hardener is almost water like. It calls for mixing by volume,but by doing it by weight, I get this really nice viscosity,working time and set up time. Been doing this for a couple of years now and have seen no ill results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:01PM

What kid of bottles and syringes are you guys using? Souonds like a tidy way to keep everything contained, separated and cut down on waste.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 02:15AM

Just use this caps on your bottles [www.mudhole.com] and leave seringues in after use (just flip down the bottle to fill the seringue).
No mess, all stay together, no need to search for and no cleaning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 02:16AM by Eric MONTACLAIR.

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: March 17, 2015 06:56AM

Thanks for that link Eric, I'll be picking up a handful of those soon!

Posted by: Phil Juhring (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 17, 2015 12:20PM

Here is another vote for self sealing syringe caps and syringes. Absolute no brainer in my opinion. I not only use them for any two part epoxy. Flex Coat, Loctite 5 min, DevCon 2 ton etc ... Clean, easy, accurate.

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.uncg.edu)
Date: March 18, 2015 12:53PM

I only have a couple full builds plus a number of repairs under my belt. I never had trouble with the epoxy reacting properly (though my application technique is a different story, but its improving!). The thing is, I am a chemist and pretty used to measuring out liquids using a syringe, and generally being careful with the stirring and paying attention to the little details.

That said, I've wondered myself about mixing small amounts of epoxy - particularly for small repair jobs (replacing a single guide). I don't do this enough to warrant experimenting or to warrant stockpiling enough epoxy, but has anyone considered getting small syringes for the job?

The 1 mL, 2 mL, and 5 mL sizes in particular would be very useful - not only for measuring out smaller batches but the finer volume markings would allow increased precision for the 50:50 mixtures you need to make, compared to the 12+ mL syringes that you get from the epoxy supplier.

I've used these syringes in countless organic chemistry reactions in the lab, and that is essentially what the 2-part epoxy is all about. I have used them with air-sensitive and moisture-sensitive chemicals, as well as a wide range of different organic solvents. These syringes do not have the silicone coating, nor do they have the rubber plunger. If you consider these, you'll need the luer-slip version. The "point" of the luer-slip is the same as what you find on the bigger syringes everyone is using. That means it should be able to join with the various connections some people have on their epoxy bottles.

[www.thomassci.com]

The only fault of going this route is the total volume of the mix could play an issue (for example, ProKote's instructions state a minimum 3 mL from each component). Those recommendations could arise from the precision of the normal syringes, or they could arise from the heat of the reaction at different scales. Also a smaller mix may have greater overall exposure to air/moisture, which could potentially affect the reaction.

Jason

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2015 01:39PM

Moisture will not affect the set or cure of an epoxy. Humidity is not a factor, other than on rare occasions when it can combine with a precise amount of C02 to cause amine blushing.

Temperature is the environmental factor that does play a role in set and cure time. For every 20 degrees above or below about 70F, the set and cure time will be either halved or doubled.

The reason most epoxy suppliers recommend mixing 3ccs of each part is simply to create a greater margin of error should your mix be off by a bit. A half cc error in a total 6cc mix may not present a problem, but that same half cc error in a total 2cc mix can be disastrous.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 18, 2015 03:09PM

A little late to this discussion, but as tom wrote, "The syringes are just so easy that anything else is almost like making extra work for yourself for no real benefit." actually, i would delete the "almost like" portion. :)

i use the 3cc syringes offered by flex coat and mix a minimum of 2cc for each part by drawing in 3cc, remove from finish container, point tip up and depress plunger just enough to allow air bubbles to rise and escape. or that's my thinking. what's left is either 2.5 or 2cc of each. any further problems i've (rarely) had have had to do with room temperature, not amount of resin/hardener ratio. i owe that to the commonly offered syringes for rod building.

PS: i wish people would refrain from referring to thread finish as epoxy. technically epoxy does mean either something that acts as an adhesive OR something which covers, but i think most people think of it as the former, not the latter, especially people new to rod building. it's just the copy editor part of my that wishes for a term that perfectly describes the process and products. "thread finish" does it. i'm all about accurate communication and clarification (though my exes would probably argue that point :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2015 03:17PM by eric zamora.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.220.---)
Date: March 22, 2015 10:03AM

I'm learning something from all the replies. Thanks gents. An extra thanks to Kerry, whoever you are for taking the time to shoot me an email.

Kerry mentioned that I should put the hardener in the cup first, but did not say why.

Any thoughts?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster