I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Measuring epoxy
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.200.---)
Date: March 15, 2015 09:00PM

On my last build, when I put on the final coat over a tiger wrap, I did an experiment. I wanted only a small batch, so I weighed it. 1.5 grams each, resin and harder. I have a very accurate small scale, recently checked against calibration weights, so I believe the scale It looked ok, but was still a bit tacky after 24 hours. After weighing the individual components, the hardener is about 14% lighter than an equal volume of resin. Is this enough to make a difference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2015 09:03PM

It most certainly is and the less you mix the greater the difference by percentage. The two parts don't weigh the same per volume. Don't do that - it'll land you in trouble. Measure by volume. Epoxy is cheap. Your time isn't.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 06:30AM

You can take that 14% and do the math but why? Syringes work fine I mix .5 of each without issue.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: March 16, 2015 09:54AM

Thanks gents. Tom; point taken about what's cheap and what isn't. It was an experiment. I know my little scale is more accurate than eyeballing a measuring cup, so I will be doing more experimenting, doing the math as Fred suggested. I don't have syringes, but I will have to aquire a supply if i can't get the scale to work. I won't be applying any weighed mixes to actual builds until I get it worked out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:04AM

The syringes are also cheep And will last years

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:18AM

Gary,
In many industries, epoxy mix ratios are mixed by both volume as well as weight.

Each work equally well, as long as the correct weight ratio is used and or the correct volume ratio.

The vast majority of the epoxies used for Rod Building finish work employ a 1:1 mix ratio.

However, as you discovered there is a 14% difference by weight for the particular epoxy that you used. If you used the 14% weight difference and mixed that particular epoxy, the mix would be equally good.

However, if yo used a different epoxy, you would need to verify any weight difference, if you chose to use weight to measure rather than volume as many epoxies are generally measured.

Any time you have an issue like this, you can contact the epoxy manufacturer, and get the both the correct mix ratio by both volume and by weight.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2015 10:30AM

The syringes are just so easy that anything else is almost like making extra work for yourself for no real benefit.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 11:37AM

A set of syringes costs less than $3.00 and will last for years. If used properly, they eliminate the issue of measure balancing completely! Additionally, their use is fast and clean.

In short from my perspective.....the only way to go !!

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (64.107.104.---)
Date: March 16, 2015 12:05PM

I just ordered parts for my next build. I will call them and see if they can Add some syringes to the order.

I've been doing process control design / engineering / programming for almost three decades. Looks like the nerd in me is trying to sneak out of work and into my hobby. LOL thanks guys for putting him in his place.

Date: March 16, 2015 12:47PM

Gary,
Your post is perfectly reasonable.

As I said earlier, there are lots of industries that only use weight to measure out parts of epoxy for mixing.

Good luck

Posted by: jim jackson (129.81.14.---)
Date: March 16, 2015 12:51PM

One suggestion: get the pumps (like the ones in a liquid hand soap bottle) that fit in (and made for) the epoxy bottles! these work great, stay cleaner than syringes, and seem to be accurate. cost a few bucks. Mudhole. Your idea of using weight adjusted for density is a good one though. That will be most accurate for measuring, if you get the ratios right.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: March 16, 2015 02:19PM

My suggestion is to get the inserts that fit the finish bottles for the syringes.
Ricky

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: March 16, 2015 03:08PM

I go even easier. I use a stainless 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon. Poor it level with Part A, scrape out all into cup, then Part B the same way. The residual in the spoon (very little) guarantees an ever so slight less amount of Part B. I have the big bottles of finish about two thirds gone now, and they are within about a 1/16 of an inch of eich other. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Date: March 16, 2015 04:37PM

Dony,
I read and understand your post about using spoons.
However, the issue that I have with spoons is the fact that you need to clean them and basically waste the finish that has been left on the spoon.

But with the use of syringes ,and in particular, if you leave them in the bottle cap, you never have to clean the syringes, and you waste no finish.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 05:02PM

Spoons are NOT easier than syringes, for the reasons Roger points out, plus the ability to use different size measurements depending upon the size of the project! I do use spoons for the epoxy paste adhesives, however the measurements are not nearly as critical for adhesives as it is for coating epoxies.

Date: March 16, 2015 05:10PM

Seems the syringes are the quickest and most accurate way

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 05:34PM

Aftco is the only 2 part finish that the manufacture states you can use a scale to measure with. It works I do it all the time.

Posted by: Barry Barth (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 05:40PM

Just a note on syringes...don't use pharmacy syringes as they have silicon on them as a lubricant and silicon will contaminate the epoxy and cause small pock marks in the finish. Thanks Barry

Date: March 16, 2015 05:50PM

each builder has there own way of doing anything on a rod
Whatever works for each Go for it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 16, 2015 07:49PM

I found that using the syringes was faster than weighing .The syringes stay in the bottle all the time .(no cleaning & avoid the problem of putting the wrong syringe in the bottle ) & all I do is tip the bottle upside down & draw down on the syringe until the level sits on the line for the amount I use (usually 3 ml from each bottle.When finished they go back onto the holder that I made with the syringes still in upside down .I have been using that method for a number of years now with zero problems .The only problem I have ever experienced was when I was using the eyeball method .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 06:33PM by Barry Chapman.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster