I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Grip w/Pocket for spinning reel seat?
Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2015 02:08PM

Do you think i can use a fly grip with recessed pocket and a spinning reel seat together? Or do you think i can use a fly reel seat with a small spinning reel? Im planning an ultra light panfish bobber rod. 9" rear grip and id like to use a 7" full wells front grip. 9' 4wt blank set up for spinning reel. thanks, mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Grip w/Pocket for spinning reel seat?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 02:15PM

this your rod you can do as you wish enjoy your project when finished if you don't like it re do it what have you got to loose ,
an you will gain by the experance of the build I think other will give there 2 CTS I am sure

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 03:06PM

You can take a full wells grip and modify it into a half wells or "Fenwick" grip, I think it gives a nicer, clean transition to the reelseat. I think it's also a very comfortable grip.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: March 12, 2015 03:25PM

I could totally see this. there are many times I've used a spin seat on a fly rod. I do like the idea you have going there.

Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2015 03:58PM

Thanks guys. My concern was that these parts might not be compatible. Wish i could go to the store for some testing! Do you think a standard size fly reel seat would work with a 1500 or 2000 size spinning reel? thanks, mark

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 07:05PM

Mark,
These three fly reel seats fit my Abu Garcia C4 reel and my Daiwa GC120 reel. Alps HERA7L1, HERA7WL2, R-CAH15LXL2. I think the R-CAH15LXL2 gives the most secure fit for these two reels.

Regards,

Craig

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 09:26PM

Do I understand that you want to use only spin reels on this rod, with a 7 in front grip, the seat in the middle, and a 9 in rear grip? If that is the case I don't see why you wouldn't use a spin seat in the middle. The recess in the fly grip may be filled to prevent it from collapsing or you probably can find the cork you want without a recess.

If you want to use both spin and fly reels in the seat between the grips, then I think the compatibility issue has been answered above. To be sure, take the reels you want to use and go to a store and try them on spin and fly rod seats.

If you want to use a spin seat in the middle and a fly reel off the back a couple ideas come to mind. Spin seat between the grips and a female ferrule recessed into the rear grip, the fly seat mounted on the male ferrule so it can be removed. Or a Tennesse front grip to mount the spin reel there, a fly grip off the back either solid or with the ferrule mounting. Tape the Tennessee rings when not in use.

With about 20 inches taken up with grips and seats, are you sure 9 feet is long enough?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster