I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Guides
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 11:31AM

I know that wrap lengths vary from guide to guide and that each guide wrap is directly proportionate to the size of the guide and this proportion is maintained by making the wrap in front of the guide the same on all guides.

Is there a rule of thumb in determining the length of the wrap in front of the guide? How does the professional rod builder determine the length of the wrap in front of the guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Guides
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 12:17PM

It is the builders choice! No set rule or practice, as some prefer only a very few wraps, while others like more. Additionally, some like to make all the wraps the same length regardless of the guide foot lengths.

If weight is a concern, obviously, the shorter the better.

I build only fly rods, with size "A" thread, and do 4 wraps before the guide foot. If putting a trim wrap on, it is in addition to the 4 wraps.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 12, 2015 12:25PM

I try to balance aesthetics with durability and performance. I don't really have a formula that determines a specific wrap length.

They need to be long enough to achieve the aesthetic design goals with keeping in mind that extra unnecessary thread and finish adds weight to the build which robs performance. To speed the layout I do use a 3x5 "story card" for each guide frame and size ring. Along the edges of the card I have marks for variations in wrapping and trim like one or two trim band colors. I created the cards one day by looking over my personal rods and choosing the guide wraps that just looked and felt right to me. I just transferred the trim color transitions, wrap length, and center of the ring to the cards. The whole process took me about an hour or so to make sets of cards for the three frames I use most often. I don't deviate from the cards unless I'm trying to do something out of the ordinary from what I usually do.

So to answer your question, for me anyway, I have no rule of thumb.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 12:59PM

I wrap starting from the tip top of the rod I will wrap the first guide from the top ( the small ones are a pain ) making the wrap as small as I can Then measure with a compass and do the tip top a tad smaller Then as i go down the blank depending on the taper I make each guide a little longer Maybe the first several the same If it looks good
I found that when the blank gets wider with the thread the same size the butt guides looked a lot shorter then they were To me it did not look pleasing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 03:22PM

I generally make all of the wraps about 1/8th inch longer than the guide foot.
Be safe

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 04:16PM

I usually make my wrap 3mm each end longer than the guide & maintain that through the guide train .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 04:33PM

That's helpful information. Thanks.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2015 05:53PM

I do three wraps.
just enough to create the needed tension so the thread will hold itself in place while wrapping the rest, regardless of the length of the foot
I build for performance and anything unnecessary hinders that performance.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2015 06:20PM

Steve is right On a 3 wt fly rod you want the least amount of weight possible On a heavy saltwater rod it may not matter ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 01:20AM

No reason to have any more than a minimum amount of wrapping before the guide foot. The purpose of the thread is to hold the guide in place on the blank. If the thread is not wrapped around the guide, it is not serving any useful purpose except to keep the thread wraps tight and to form a finished end to the guide wraps. More than that is unnecessary.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 13, 2015 02:18AM

I like shortest wrap, one to three turn and I'm on the guide foot.
I'm with Roger, wrap on the blank desserve no purpose (aesthetic aside).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster